HC1/HC3 Lens Add-ons? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 24th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Major Player

HC1/HC3 Lens Add-ons?

What is available for these two models in telextender and wide-angle lenses?
Will the HC3 have the same 37mm filter-thread size as the HC1? Would the better quality telex lenses made for SD camcorders, provide enough resolution for HDV use? I have a Sony 1.7X HG telex that I have used on a 37mm Digital8 camcorder, using step-down rings. It and a Canon 1.4X telex have worked very well for SD, but will they be adequate for HDV?

I've found an HD-rated telex on Sony's website, the VCL-HG2037Y. It has a 37mm mounting thread and is 2X. It's listed at $189.99. Has anyone used it on an HC1? If so, at what point in the zoom range does it vignette?

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; February 24th, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I've learned that the Sony HDR-HC3 will have a 30mm lens filter size, compared to 37mm on the HC1. Sony makes a series of HD-rated add-on lenses in both these sizes.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have Sony's high grade 2x 37mm telephoto lens for my PDX-10 and have been very happy with the quality. I don't know how it would hold up at HD resolution, but suspect it might be fine.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series