"Push Auto" Focus for A1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ries
I can also confirm that the Manfrotto 521Pro's Push Auto Focus button does work with the HC1 when in manual focus mode.
The Push Auto Focus button does not work on my Varizoom Lanc with my A1. I guess I bought the wrong controller!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #17
New Boot

Push Auto is "included" in the Spot Focus and Shot Transition !

In these modes you can choose the area where you want to focus. I think it's a great advantage (and improvement!) over a simple Push Auto which only focus on the center...

I use it a lot and I think it is the best usable focus system I have seen on a camcorder.
Rodolphe Pellerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I noticed you guys talking about an assignable button. Is this feature exclusive to the A1u or is this also available on the HC1?
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Evan
- the assignable button is only on the A1. It's not on the HC1.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolphe Pellerin
Push Auto is "included" in the Spot Focus and Shot Transition !

In these modes you can choose the area where you want to focus. I think it's a great advantage (and improvement!) over a simple Push Auto which only focus on the center...

I use it a lot and I think it is the best usable focus system I have seen on a camcorder.
Are we talking about the same things?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe "Push Auto" is specifically geared to center focus (any more than "Auto Focus"). It's equivalent to being in manual focus mode, sighting a target and switching to auto focus to auto focus the target, and then switching back to manual focus.

The LCD menu options are great on the HC1 if you are in a static situation and can set up the shot. I have a hard enough time trying to hold the HC1 still freehand, let alone trying to keep it still while playing with the LCD options. Even on a monopod or tripod, the less I touch the camera the better.

Which is why I got a LANC controller. And support for "Push Auto" is why I went with the 521Pro.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #21
Major Player

I have a specific need for the "Push Auto-focus" button. Every year, I make several flower videos at local rose and rhododendron gardens. I started doing this for my bedridden Mother, but soon found that many other people wanted to see them. With a momentary AF button, I can flit from one flower to the next, like a busy bee. All I have to do to set-up each shot, is pop the momentary button for a couple of seconds and I'm good to go. I've also used it to quickly catch each exhibit at art shows. When you have 50 to 100 different subjects like this, all in a row, the AF button is a great time-saver and a real blessing. It's been 17 years since I had a camcorder without this feature and this could be a deal-buster if a certain model wasn't very outstanding in other ways.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series