Sync A1U Time code with a Z1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Sync A1U Time code with a Z1U?

I just recently purchased a A1U-so recently that it has not arrived in fact! I am planning on using the camera with either an FX1 or a Z1U, but I wanted to get some more info first before I get the second camera. One of the most promising features of the A1U is the ability to sync the timecode (as I shoot a lot of multicam live events) and I wanted to see if anyone has tried syncing a A1U and a Z1U. There seems to be no documentation of this issue, and the good people at B&H didn't know for sure. I would assume (and hope!) so, but better safe than sorry.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'd like the answer as well. The Z1 (which I have) can use a continious run time code and you can reset two cameras together by beginning them both with one remote. (I got this from a DVD on HDV.) I have no idea on the A1 (which I bought today and am waiting for) but I'm hoping for something like that. One thing I did in shooting a movie with the Z1 and an FX1 was use a clap board that I attached to a digital clock. I can sync the shots from the two cameras that way.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Waters
I'd like the answer as well. The Z1 (which I have) can use a continious run time code and you can reset two cameras together by beginning them both with one remote.

Jerry-

The A1U works the same way at least with additional A1U's. Let me know when you get your A1U if you can set the timecode between the two cameras. I have also used a clapboard, but it would be much easier for run and gun work to set the cameras up with the same free run time code.
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I can now confirm that you can sync the timecode of an A1U with a Z1U by using the Timecode Reset command from the Z1U's remote. This alone is worth the upgrade prices!
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Pike
I just recently purchased a A1U-so recently that it has not arrived in fact! I am planning on using the camera with either an FX1 or a Z1U, but I wanted to get some more info first before I get the second camera. One of the most promising features of the A1U is the ability to sync the timecode (as I shoot a lot of multicam live events) and I wanted to see if anyone has tried syncing a A1U and a Z1U. There seems to be no documentation of this issue, and the good people at B&H didn't know for sure. I would assume (and hope!) so, but better safe than sorry.
Free-Run timecode is avail in the Z1, not sure about the FX1 or the A1, however be advised the name implies more than you think, it really is free run, the cams will drift over the hour, day, shoot. You might have to re-sync them everytime you power them up and also when you change tapes. I tried to use this with the Canon XL2 and we found out that unless you find a way to jam-sync the cam you're best bet is to fire off a flash or as was suggested to me, shoot the viewfinder of cam 1 from cam 2, so that you can see the drift when you're in post.

Miguel
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks for the info. My A1U is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. That will be one of the first things I do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series