Tape Striping - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM   #16
Major Player

Nothing wrong with setting a few seconds of timecode to get the hour you want -- so put bars on the first thirty, with the hour you want.

But striping the entire tape is neither necessary, nor 'safe'. The timecode writer in your camcorder looks at where it is parked and carries on from there -- the rest of your stripe is a waste of your time. Additionally, the chances of your second recording consistently and reliably exactly aligning with the 'original' recording will get less and less likely the deeper you get into the tape -- tape handling errors later in the tape may result in timecode values skipped and repeated.

So if your goal is setting the 'hour' value per tape, you don't have to -- and shouldn't -- stripe the entire tape. I too set the hour to represent the reel number -- but striping the tape isn't needed to accomplish that.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Patrick talks of not putting a tape twice through an HDV camera, yet I'd say that the second time through is the safest time of all. Any tiny imperfections will have been spun off the first time round, and the tape surface burnished and smoothed by that spinning drum.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Having your tape packed and burnished is probably a good thing -- just don't record on it. Use Play, or even Fast Forward.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Geoff Baker
Nothing wrong with setting a few seconds of timecode to get the hour you want -- so put bars on the first thirty, with the hour you want.

GB
Good call, I'll run with this.

-D
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM   #20
Regular Crew

If the way the heads work on digital tape is anything like the way they do on analog audio recording, playing the tape through will indeed enhance the quality of the tape.
Fast forward would probably not take the burnishes off, but would pack it.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #21
Warden

Quote:
Patrick talks of not putting a tape twice through an HDV camera, yet I'd say that the second time through is the safest time of all. Any tiny imperfections will have been spun off the first time round, and the tape surface burnished and smoothed by that spinning drum.
Packing the tape (fast forwarding and rewinding) performs that better than stripping. I've had more students clog a head stripping than any other method.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #22
New Boot

Okay, you guys have totally converted me! I think it still has some value in the DV world, but I will never stripe an HDV tape again! The last one I striped, burps and hiccups so much it's not even funny! Wow, the dropouts are bad when they happen in MPEG-2 15 GOP! This medium has high potential when all components function to their best, but has less than desirable results when the tape isn't cooperating well. Thanks for sticking to your collective guns on this one. I'm now convinced. I might have blamed it on the tape without this forum.

Tim
Timothy Stidham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series