HC3 Shutter Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 6th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #1
Major Player

HC3 Shutter Control

The upcoming Sony HDR-HC3 doesn't have any dedicated controls for changing the shutter speed. However, most Sony camcorders without manual controls for this, have an AE programmed mode that will allow a faster shutter to be used, as long as the light level is adequate. This function is usually contained in the "Sports" AE program. In my other Sony camcorders that have Sports mode, the shutter will go up as high as 1/500th, which is enough for most things I do. But, in looking at a posted reference to the HC3's AE programmed modes, there is no Sports mode listed. Does anyone know if this is correct or if any other AE mode provides this faster shutter feature?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am sure there is a Shutter Control feature within the touch screen menu. Most of their consumer camcorders have it, don't think they would remove that from it.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
I am sure there is a Shutter Control feature within the touch screen menu. Most of their consumer camcorders have it, don't think they would remove that from it.
The "Sports" AE icon has been replaced with a picture of a potato on a couch.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

@Stephen - LOL! good one...

Yes the sports Program AE does appear to have died a death on the HC3.
And i beleive that also manual shutter-speed control has also been zapped on the HC3.
So this would appear to be a bit limiting.

The one mode that i think will come closest to mimicking the Sports mode is (paradoxically.... but stay with me on this..) the 'Portrait' Program AE mode.

That mode is biased to give big apertures so as to give a shallower Depth-of-field as that's often the sort of thing that you want when shooting portraits.

- Assuming gain is not a factor (it won't be outside in 90% of cases) then a consequence of big aperture is a faster shutter speed.

So it's a bit of a fudge, but best shot i think to get a fast shutter-speed on the HC3 may well be this 'Portrait' Program AE mode.
- I may have 'missed' something as it's been a few weeks since i read the HC3 PDF manual, so if anybody sees something in there that helps on shutter-speeds, please go ahead and post here.

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
The "Sports" AE icon has been replaced with a picture of a potato on a couch.
In the Couch Potato mode, the shutter gets raised from 1/60th to 1/65th, not that it would ever be exposed to any fast action.

I have an assumption that even though there's no manual shutter control nor Sports mode on the HC3, that there may be some automatic raising of the shutter speed, if ambient conditions and other camera settings are right for it.
I'm looking for a tip about how to nudge it in the right direction to do this on its own.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
In the Couch Potato mode, the shutter gets raised from 1/60th to 1/65th, not that it would ever be exposed to any fast action.

I have an assumption that even though there's no manual shutter control nor Sports mode on the HC3, that there may be some automatic raising of the shutter speed, if ambient conditions and other camera settings are right for it.
I'm looking for a tip about how to nudge it in the right direction to do this on its own.
Well Stephen, knowing Sony's designers as i do (in empirical terms..) i suspect that the camera will adhere to the standard Sony programming as regards shutter-speed dependent on EV value. - It will hang onto 1/60sec default (NTSC) or 1/50th sec. default (PAL) as long as it possibly can. Faster shutter speeds give rise to 'stroboscopic' shutter effects so i don't think the HC3 will easily stray to high shutter-speeds. Give it MASSIVE light and yes sure it will have to if it runs out of aperture or whatever.

But i think the only way you are going to exert any direct influence on it to give you faster shutter speeds short of 1pm in the Australian / New Mexico summer (substitute your own country near-ish the equator..) is to use Portrait mode. That's my opinion on it given the current knowledge available on this new model.

rgds.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series