What Flash for HVR-A1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 14th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #1
New Boot

What Flash for HVR-A1U

Will the HVL-HFL1 flash/video light combo work on the XLR adaptors shoe? The A1U is not listed as compatible, but the HC1 is. It says it needs an "active hot shoe", but I'm new at this and am not clear of the differences. Does anyone use a flash/video light combo with their A1U that they would recommend?

Thanks,
Vic
Vic Castagnoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nope! That light/flash combination accessory is only compatible with the Sony AIS, which would require you to remove the XLR audio module in order to use it.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the info, that's kinda what I figured. What would be the best way to add a flash, and keep the XLR adapter installed? I would prefer just to carry just the A1U to capture stills, and not lug around a separate camera too.
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

This one might work if you plug it into the lanc controller.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=153476&is=REG
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
New Boot

Looks like it might work, appears I would need to get a LANC extension to reach the XLR Adapter shoe. Sure wish it had the video light feature too, but I guess the only other option would be to remove the XLR adapter and use the HVL-HFL1 in the AIS.
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #6
New Boot

OK, the cord is long enough that a LANC extension is not needed (the good news), but I can not get it to work. I've looked through the camera menus and the only settings for flash are all inactive, they must only work with the active shoe flash. I'm going to check the battery tonight, but it was new out of the package, so I'm guessing that is not the problem. Anyone have an idea why the LANC will not trigger the Sony HVL-F10 Flash on the A1U in camera mode?

Thanks,
Vic
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Castagnoli
OK, the cord is long enough that a LANC extension is not needed (the good news), but I can not get it to work. I've looked through the camera menus and the only settings for flash are all inactive, they must only work with the active shoe flash. I'm going to check the battery tonight, but it was new out of the package, so I'm guessing that is not the problem. Anyone have an idea why the LANC will not trigger the Sony HVL-F10 Flash on the A1U in camera mode?

Thanks,
Vic
Boy I was really hoping this would work. I was planning on getting a lanc flash as well. Anything new or did you end up sending the flash back?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #8
New Boot

I still have it, and I'm still looking for an answer. I sent an email to Sony style and Sony Business, but still have no reply. Seems the sonystyle.com folks don't want to answer since they don't sell the A1U, and the http://bssc.sel.sony.com (which sells the A1U) don't communicate very well. Still hoping someone can provide an answer.... anyone out there have a suggestion.

Vic
Vic Castagnoli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series