what editing system to use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
New Boot

what editing system to use

I am going to purchase a sony hc1 (after much thought and research).

I want 16:9 and HD. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think it will last longer.

Now I know I will need to update my computer and most likely buy software (any free software for HDV editing)?

It's a gateway, I can't remember the model, although I think it's got a six in it, maybe sixhundrish.

It has WindowsXP, Pentium(R) 4CPU, 3:3GHZ and 1 GB RAM. I believe it's a hyperthreading cpu.

Yeah I know I'm going to have to update the RAM to 2 GB, any suggestions on what type of RAM?

The audio appears to be SigmaTel C Major Audio.

Knowing all that what would be the easiest to learn, decently priced HDV editing software program that will work with my existing notebook PC.

I'm a screenwriter first, but am ready to learn how to shoot digital films. I'm not ready for a prosumer camera. Had a chance to use a Canon camcorder and was amazed at how easy it was to use. Not to mention I learned how to use FCP in a day, but alas I have no mac at home.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Dare Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Kent
I am going to purchase a sony hc1 (after much thought and research).

I want 16:9 and HD. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think it will last longer.

Now I know I will need to update my computer and most likely buy software (any free software for HDV editing)?

It's a gateway, I can't remember the model, although I think it's got a six in it, maybe sixhundrish.

It has WindowsXP, Pentium(R) 4CPU, 3:3GHZ and 1 GB RAM. I believe it's a hyperthreading cpu.

Yeah I know I'm going to have to update the RAM to 2 GB, any suggestions on what type of RAM?

The audio appears to be SigmaTel C Major Audio.

Knowing all that what would be the easiest to learn, decently priced HDV editing software program that will work with my existing notebook PC.

I'm a screenwriter first, but am ready to learn how to shoot digital films. I'm not ready for a prosumer camera. Had a chance to use a Canon camcorder and was amazed at how easy it was to use. Not to mention I learned how to use FCP in a day, but alas I have no mac at home.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You're likely on the edge if you want realtime performance in HDV but you might be able to get away with it. Look seriously at Premier Pro 2.0 and be sure to add in the Cineform Aspect HD codec, it's solid as a rock and after trying a few other combinations, I'm sold. Vegas is well liked with many and it's native for HDV without any optional addon's but the interface is quirkly compared to other NLE's.

Now the bottom line, this thread really belongs on the HDV editing forum, you might want to move it there.

Miguel
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #3
New Boot

Why did you say to get Cineform Aspect HD codec?

You can do everything without having to get something else besides Premiere Pro 2.0.
Damien Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4
New Boot

VCR to VCR editing. Its the best!
Damien Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #5
Trustee

>> You can do everything without having to get something else besides Premiere Pro 2.0

You can do everything with freeware too. However, speed and convenience are a consideration for some people....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series