Lost Video Footage On HD-DV Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Tourist

Lost Video Footage On HD-DV Tape

I have a tape (Sony HD-DV using HDR-HC1) which I recently recorded our first baby shower on and I am unable to view its contents! What is weird is that when I hit play it displays a blue screen, but when I fast forward while playing you can see the video. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? I have successfully recorded and played back more video after the baby shower video on the same tape.

Thanks,

Jay
Jay Weden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Weden
I have a tape (Sony HD-DV using HDR-HC1) which I recently recorded our first baby shower on and I am unable to view its contents! What is weird is that when I hit play it displays a blue screen, but when I fast forward while playing you can see the video. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? I have successfully recorded and played back more video after the baby shower video on the same tape.

Thanks,

Jay
Did you check your playback settings?
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the reply Miguel.

I haven't changed any settings. And it records and plays back fine on the same tape after the 'lost' footage.
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmmmmm, did you try setting the downconvert to on? Is your TV HD? Press display and see what format it shows.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Tourist

This happens when I am viewing the tape directly on the HC1. I have tried to capture the video using Sony Vegas as well and all I get is blue... I will try viewing it on my HD TV tonight just to see what happens.
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Tourist

I get a blue screen when trying to view on my HD TV as well. This is very disappointing.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Major Player

I say clean your tape head.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

^Yup, he's right, whenever you play a dirty tape or go into an extermely humid area (a shower) the head will get dirty and even the slightest of dirt would make the data unreadable. that's what happened after I recorded a DVCAM formatted test footage on a dirty tape (not too dirty though) on my rented Z1, when I tried to play back my clean tape, it didn't read any of the data. Used the cleaning cassete and it worked again.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #9
New Boot

Lost Video Footage on HD-DV Tape

Does anyone know if that "lost" footage is recoverable in any way? Also, if Jay could record clean footage after the baby shower, could the problem have been condensation and not a dirty head? Why were no error messages displayed? I have a friend with a similar problem on Z7U. Any details would help us. Thanks!
Jayasri Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Change the playback mode to the other formats (either DV, DVCam, or HDV) and then try playing it. You can have DV and HDV on the same tape, but all you'll see in playback is blue if you have playback set to a format on which you did not record. It sounds like you may have accidentally changed the format either before or after you taped the footage.

Good luck.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series