Broadcast quality HC1 external mic package? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Tourist

Broadcast quality HC1 external mic package?

This is my first post. Please forgive if this question has already been answered.

We just completed filming a PBS documentary in HD using a Sony Cine Alta F900/3. The need has arisen to fly to Israel to interview one person on camera for about an hour. We would like to use the HC1 which we already own but need to purchase or lease an external mic package (presumably configured with a concealed lapel mic) that will work with the HC1 and will rival the sound quality achieved with the F900 and pro audio package we used during the shoot.

Would appreciate guidance. I'm open to purchasing a wireless setup and XLR adapter if necessary to achieve broadcast quality audio. Would appreciate specific suggestions on the equipment I should acquire (mic, cables, preamp, adapter, etc.)

Thank you, Jeff
Jeff Gusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Jeff, the HC1 lacks the balance audio that you need. Due to the significance of you venture, I suggest capturing via a sound recorder and not through that camera. In fact, I wouldn't capture in any HDV camera with it's Mpeg layer II audio. In a pinch, if you have a small DV cam with XLR input lying around, you could use that to capture 16bit 48K audio, and use the HC1 to aquire the image.
Then sync in post. Test that out and see if it suits your needs.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

why not just get a beachtek for the hc1
Tom Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Johnson
why not just get a beachtek for the hc1
If this is in response to Peter's post, there is still the issue of lossy compresson on the audio if you shoot HDV.

I haven't noticed whether anyone has done a comparison test between an HC1 + BeachTek and an A1. I think that would be interesting.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Only problem is that there's no external mic jack (mini or otherwise) on the HC1
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden
Only problem is that there's no external mic jack (mini or otherwise) on the HC1
Are you referring to the HC3? HC1 has a mini-plug external mic jack. I have a BeachTek DXA-6 attached to my HC1 right now.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Sorry, you're right. I'm getting the 3s and 1s mixed up. The latest generation is 3.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:01 PM   #8
Trustee

If you have an HC3, then you'll need to capture audio seperately, in which case using an available dv cam with XLR input would do the trick on the cheap.

If you don't have that option, then you'll have pick up a dedicated audio recorder with balanced input. A decent unit with UHF wireless could run you about $2000.

BTW, I've read reports that the image on the HC3's was a little off or fuzzy from the HC1's. If Sony scavanged the HC1 to become the HC3, would they also have used cheaper chips? Did you test the image quality of your camera against what you already have from the cinealta?
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:15 AM   #9
Tourist

Are you happy with the DXA-6 & HC1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
Are you referring to the HC3? HC1 has a mini-plug external mic jack. I have a BeachTek DXA-6 attached to my HC1 right now.
Which mike are you using? If you had it to do over again, would you purchase the DXA-6 or DXA-8? Are you able to record broadcast quality sound with the HC1 and the DXA-6? Thank you, JG
Jeff Gusky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series