using component at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM   #1
Major Player

using component

Does anyone know ... if you record using the component cables hooked up to a capture card, by-passing the tape, if the signal still has mpeg2 long gop HDV compression? I imagine it still has the color space of 4:2:0, but I think if I were to hook one up to an HD component IN card I could bypass the compression?
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

A component signal is analog, so there is no compression by definition. The compression you see would depend on the capture card.

Mark
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

but no, you will not get higher resolution or color sampling by using the compenent output--it's just reading the 4:2:0 signal from the HDV tape.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

4:4:4 Analog output

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Harmon
Does anyone know ... if you record using the component cables hooked up to a capture card, by-passing the tape, if the signal still has mpeg2 long gop HDV compression? I imagine it still has the color space of 4:2:0, but I think if I were to hook one up to an HD component IN card I could bypass the compression?
The Component analog outputs of the HVR-A1U are full 4:4:4 signal. This signal can be captured and sent to an SDI converter and then writted to either HDCAM, or if you wish, you can save it to a high-speed raid drive.

The Viper HD camera system does this right out of the box, but you can buy a new Mercedes or Ferrari for less money.

Last edited by Dave F. Nelson; April 2nd, 2006 at 05:07 PM.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Major Player

New Mercedes or Ferrari? That's a huge price difference, haha.

Anyways, could someone explain the whole component input/output, capture card, SDI converter, HDCAM, raid drive thing to a newbie? I don't really understand what any of those are, how they work, or what they do, much less why you would use them.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series