DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Will a protective filter fit between A1's lens and hood? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/64305-will-protective-filter-fit-between-a1s-lens-hood.html)

Dorothy Engleman April 3rd, 2006 11:18 PM

Will a protective filter fit between A1's lens and hood?

Living in a windy beach city, I wouldn't think of not using a protective filter. Is it possible to fit a UV filter on the A1 between the lens and hood?

Dorothy

Dave F. Nelson April 4th, 2006 09:44 AM

The short answer is no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy Engleman
Living in a windy beach city, I wouldn't think of not using a protective filter. Is it possible to fit a UV filter on the A1 between the lens and hood?

Dorothy

Sorry Dorothy,

The short answer is no. If you want to use filters, you will have to resort to other means. You can purchase 37mm filters and then purchase another lens hood or hoods depending upon how many lenses and filters and step-up and step-down rings you use, or you can get a matt box. The latter alternative is much more expensive, but much more versatile in the long run.

The good news is that you can usually use a matt box on more than one camera which means that your investment won't go in the toilet when you get a new camcorder.

You don't need to use an nd filter with the AI/HC1 and the use of any filter in low light levels will reduce the exposure by 1/4 to 1/2 stop or more which will cause more video noise, so keep this in mind.

The use or polarizing filters is very helpful on sunny days.

I use a matt box so that I can use multiple filters and switch them easily which obviates the necessity of a lens hood.

The inablilty to use the factory hood is common among most of the higher-end cameras. That's why you usually see them with matt boxes attached in promotional material.

A matt box is to a pro camcorder as a boom pole or boom stand is to a mic.

Check Cavision or Century or google for lens hoods and matt boxes.

Regards, Dave.

Dorothy Engleman April 4th, 2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
Sorry Dorothy,

The short answer is no. If you want to use filters, you will have to resort to other means. You can purchase 37mm filters and then purchase another lens hood or hoods depending upon how many lenses and filters and step-up and step-down rings you use, or you can get a matt box. The latter alternative is much more expensive, but much more versatile in the long run.

The good news is that you can usually use a matt box on more than one camera which means that your investment won't go in the toilet when you get a new camcorder.

You don't need to use an nd filter with the AI/HC1 and the use of any filter in low light levels will reduce the exposure by 1/4 to 1/2 stop or more which will cause more video noise, so keep this in mind.

The use or polarizing filters is very helpful on sunny days.

I use a matt box so that I can use multiple filters and switch them easily which obviates the necessity of a lens hood.

The inablilty to use the factory hood is common among most of the higher-end cameras. That's why you usually see them with matt boxes attached in promotional material.

A matt box is to a pro camcorder as a boom pole or boom stand is to a mic.

Check Cavision or Century or google for lens hoods and matt boxes.

Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for another super informative reply! Your advice helped me seriously consider spending an extra $600 for the A1 over the HC1 so I could get balanced audio. I fear a matte box will add considerably more to this purchase than I'm willing to spend.

In his A1 review, DSE suggested a workaround for using a filter with the hood:

http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...1U/HVR-A1U.htm

I've also read that while the A1's hood is not threaded, there is an attachment device inside the hood which can be turned and threaded onto a 37mm filter.

Come to think of it, since I'll be shooting mostly indoors, is the A1's lens hood necessary?

Dorothy

Dave F. Nelson April 4th, 2006 05:41 PM

A1U Lens hood and filters.

The A1 Lens hood is not threaded. It has 2 hooks that push into the outer portions of the lens assemblly. Then a plastic collar is turned tight to lock the hood in place. I suggest that you download the pdf of the A1U manual to get more details since you are buying this unit. It's well worth your time and will answer many questions.

The A1U accepts 37mm filters. However you have to remove the lens hood to attach filters. Once you put a filter on, you can no longer attach the lens hood. This is common unfortunately.

That is why I said you would have to purchase one or more lens hoods depending upon the types and sizes of lenses, and the filters and stepping rings you plan to use.

In many types of lighting conditions, lens hoods are necessary to eliminate or at least reduce lens flare.

--Dave

Dorothy Engleman April 4th, 2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

In many types of lighting conditions, lens hoods are necessary to eliminate or at least reduce lens flare.

--Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for more helpful info!

What about using the hood without a protective lens for indoor shoots? Would that be OK or should a protective filter always be on?

Thanks again!
Dorothy

Dave F. Nelson April 4th, 2006 10:38 PM

Use of filters with the A1U

The camcorder is designed to work without any kind of filtering. Many people use nd filters to protect the lens but I don't think this is necessary.

The A1U needs all the help it can get in lower llight so using filters indoors at low light levels just reduces the amount of light that enters your lens. Remember that the A1U is a little weak at lower light levels so using filters would just add to the problem.

I don't recommend using filters unless they are needed for a particular reason like UV and polarizing filters outside or color correction filters to balance lighting indoors.

Otherwise there is no need to use a filter ever.

The A1U has a perfectly good lens hood and lens cover built-in to protect the lens.

--Dave

Dorothy Engleman April 5th, 2006 12:09 AM

Quote:

The camcorder is designed to work without any kind of filtering. Many people use nd filters to protect the lens but I don't think this is necessary.

The A1U has a perfectly good lens hood and lens cover built-in to protect the lens.

--Dave

Hi Dave, another big thank you!!

What do other A1 owners use to protect their lens? The lens hood alone or additional protection?

Dorothy

Dustin Tran April 5th, 2006 01:33 AM

I modified my lens hood & filter in order to get them fit. But it's not a perfect solution. Here're the steps:
1. Cut those 2 hooks off the lens hood
2. We need to modify the filter because thread doesn't deep enough to screw in the plastic collar . When you look closely to the front of the filter (I bought the Tiffen 37mm UV protector filter), you'll see a small ring that keeps the glass filter in place, there're 2 little indented dot on the ring, use 2 small tip screw drivers (I used the one that use to fix eye glasses) to un screw it. 3. After the ring is removed, the plastic colar can be threaded in the filter & it will keep the glass filter in place.
4. You can screw the filter & lens hood in your camcorder but the bad thing is the lens hood still can be turned, especially when you open/close the built in lens cover.
5. I used the black silicon sealant ( can be purchased @ any auto part stores) to keep the hood from turning. I put a little amount of silicon @ 2 places to glue the plastic colar & lens hood together (see pic below).
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/IMG_7275.jpg
The reason for me to used the silicon sealant because it can be cleaned off very easy. Note I glued them @ the bottom, you really can't see unless you're few inches away.
6. Here's the pic of the filter & hood on my A1U
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/IMG_7271.jpg

Tommy Haupfear August 11th, 2006 01:43 PM

Hey Dorothy! Long time no chat!

Did you ever end up getting the A1U or the HC1? I just got the A1U but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it.

Stu Holmes August 11th, 2006 02:08 PM

Dorothy - you can use a filter between the lens hood of the A1 and the body BUT you need to get rid of the two black 'tabs' first by scoring them at the base and flexing them til they snap off. After that i should wrok fine.

Without doing that (quite a few people have done that successfully) you can't fit filters between the hood and the body.

Dorothy Engleman August 12th, 2006 01:23 PM

Thanks Stu and Dustin! I have much admiration for your clever and resourceful workarounds. Tho I'm a vegan, I'm a total chicken when it comes to surgically altering electronic equipment :-))

Dorothy

Dorothy Engleman August 12th, 2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Haupfear
Hey Dorothy! Long time no chat!

Did you ever end up getting the A1U or the HC1? I just got the A1U but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it.

Hidey Ho, Tommy!

Hey, that's exciting news about your new A1U. Congratulations! Got any plans for an upcoming documentary or non-fiction feature?

As for me, I have temporarily put off purchasing an A1U. For the time being, my new Optura 50, Fuji F30 digital camera and Macbook give me plenty of opportunities to learn and explore shorter experimental forms.

Dorothy

Tommy Haupfear August 12th, 2006 03:22 PM

I supposed I could document my job search since I became a victim of a merger redundancy last week. :) Nothing on the radar of late other than just getting accustomed to the A1U and my new Sony DSC-R1.

btw - I hear the Fuji F30 is one amazing little cam! You'll have to share some pics.

I don't see anything wrong with putting off the A1U purchase especially with all of this AVCHD buzz!

Dorothy Engleman August 12th, 2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

I supposed I could document my job search since I became a victim of a merger redundancy last week. :) Nothing on the radar of late other than just getting accustomed to the A1U and my new Sony DSC-R1.

btw - I hear the Fuji F30 is one amazing little cam! You'll have to share some pics.

Hey Tommy, sorry to hear of your predicament. Now that you have some unexpected leisure, maybe you can do a Morton Spurlock-type exposé of Merger Inc :-))

Despite its limitations and imperfections, the Fuji F30 is capable of produceing stunning images with lovely color rendition and clarity. I hear your Sony R1 ain't too bad, either!!

Dorothy

Christo Aaron August 14th, 2006 08:22 AM

putting off the A1U purchase??AVCHD buzz!!

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with putting off the A1U purchase especially with all of this AVCHD buzz!

Hello Tommy,
I'm also looking to purchase the Sony A1U this week. Tell me about this AVCHD buzz! PLEASE
Thanks,
Christo