Post your HDR-HC1 settings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

shutter2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
The thing I do not like about the AE modes is that you lose some of the manual control with this (i.e. control over shutter speed if I am right).

But I still do not understand this completely. If I am right, this are the options:

- 1/50 (or 1/60 for NTSC) shutter speed
- 1/50 (or 1/60 for NTSC) and then pull it down to 1/24
- 1/25 (or 1/30 for NTSC) and then pull it down to 1/24

The main question is IF I want to achieve the film look, is it better to shoot my footage straight away at 1/25 or at 1/50 and achieve it in post?

Of course, I want to know which way will give me the highest quality.
If you simply go on the shutter speed (and I would recommend 1/50PAL, 1/60NTSC) then in a brightly lit scene you are going to have almost infinite DOF unless you zoom right in -try it. This is NOT going to create a 'film' look if two people are talking. What you need in this scene is a shallow DOF to blur the background and focus our attention of the subjects...

In a brightly lit scene you will probably still have to put a couple of ND filters on even if you ramp up shutter speed. I did a test the other day in good sunlight and was getting good DOF at 1/700sec! Yes you need lots of light to get saturated colours but it can also have it's drawbacks. The real problem with the HC1 and other consumer cameras like it is that it does not have any indication of gain being applied (I read the thread that gave the tip about getting info in tape playback mode -thanks, will give it a try- test scene 'strips' needed though.)

Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #17
New Boot

Thanks for the info Nick... but I just have this feeling that some people are confusing Shutter Speed with Frame Rate.

jg
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Outram
The real problem with the HC1 and other consumer cameras like it is that it does not have any indication of gain being applied (I read the thread that gave the tip about getting info in tape playback mode
Six stops from the right (in the exposure lever) and gain is 0.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Outram
The real problem with the HC1 and other consumer cameras like it is that it does not have any indication of gain being applied (I read the thread that gave the tip about getting info in tape playback mode -thanks, will give it a try- test scene 'strips' needed though.)
Download the HC1 "F-Stop Meter." It is a convenient tool for you to determine aperture and gain settings quickly:
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:27 PM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

A slightly late post, but I just wanted to throw in that I like adding a little more color, maybe +3 to +5, maybe even +7 depending on the look you want. On a Z1, it would be +1 to +2, as high as +3. I'd recommend testing these out to find what you like.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series