DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Pass Through on an A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/67200-pass-through-a1.html)

Darren Rousar May 11th, 2006 10:24 PM

Pass Through on an A1?

Can I connect my VCR to an A1 and pass the VCR tape video/audio through the cam to my Mac (or even onto the mini-DV tape)?

I'm trying to decide whether I'll have to by a converter box too or whether the cam can do it.

Graham Hickling May 12th, 2006 07:07 AM

The HC1 doesn't have passthrough, so I assume the A1 doesn't either.

Darren Rousar May 12th, 2006 07:48 AM

Hmmm. That's too bad. Oh well.
I read the specs a little closer and given it's A/V out can I assume it would allow me to go the other way? -NLE > Cam > Production Monitior.

Dave Halliday May 16th, 2006 07:51 AM

yes, you can use the a1u to record directly from a vcr. don't know if it has passthrough, but once you record, you've got a digitial file that you can log and capture into your NLE.

Michael Stowe May 16th, 2006 11:55 AM

I will try it later tonight. I have to put an old movie of my wifes on dvd from VHS. Will post the answer later on.

Thanks

Darren Rousar May 18th, 2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
I will try it later tonight. I have to put an old movie of my wifes on dvd from VHS. Will post the answer later on.

Thanks

Any luck with this Michael? I'm inches away from buying a Canopus but if the A1 can do it I'll skip the Canopus and wait till I buy the cam (2 weeks :)).

Graham Hickling May 18th, 2006 10:24 PM

I'm getting confused.

You are asking if you can display your NLE timeline on a production monitor by connecting from computer to camera by firewire, and camera to monitor by component? Right?

If so, I don't think that's what Micheal was going to test....

Michael Stowe May 18th, 2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Any luck with this Michael? I'm inches away from buying a Canopus but if the A1 can do it I'll skip the Canopus and wait till I buy the cam (2 weeks :)).

Darren...sorry about that, but I did not have a chance to look at it earlier this week. I just hooked everything up to my vhs player and computer, but am not able to pass video through. I have tried several settings change, but I keep getting a no video output from the camera. There may be a way, but I sure do not know how to pass it through. Sorry about that.

Mike

Darren Rousar May 18th, 2006 10:34 PM

Thanks Michael, I was guessing it wouldn't work :(

Graham, I suppose that, bottom line I would have liked both options. My friends GL1 can do both. Not that the lack of pass through is a deal killer for me a the A1.

Michael Stowe May 18th, 2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Thanks Michael, I was guessing it wouldn't work :(

Graham, I suppose that, bottom line I would have liked both options. My friends GL1 can do both. Not that the lack of pass through is a deal killer for me a the A1.

It would be nice, but there are so many other options to get vhs to your computer for a decent price. Definately don't let that come into play.

Darren Rousar May 19th, 2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
Definately don't let that come into play.

Yup, just ordered a Canopus ADVC-300 A/d Converter. This gives better converting options than one through a cam anyway.

Peter Ferling May 20th, 2006 10:12 AM

I have an ADVC-100 just for such tasks. Two years running and still very reliable. It won't defeat macro protection though, I've tried salvaging some of my purchased movies on VHS, the keepers (caddyshack, etc.) . I have to pass them through a dedicated TBC. Otherwise, for home movies and personal stuff, these little boxes rock.

Michael Stowe May 20th, 2006 11:20 AM

I have our old digital camcorder that works fine. Also have a direct connection to my video card

Darren Rousar May 24th, 2006 08:58 AM

OK, the Canopus arrived but now I've another question that's similar to my original post, hence the thread-jacking :)

My client wants edited, mini-DV tapes back from me. I'm minutes from ordering the A1 but I need to make sure I can 'print to video,' as FCP calls it, with this cam.

My projected method:
Import from VCR into FCP through the Canopus > Edit in FCP > 'Print to Video' from FCP into the A1.

Since I'm pretty new at this, I'm unsure as to whether the Firewire port on all cams (specifically the A1) works both ways. I know I have device control through FCP > Firewire but I don't know if that actually lets me record to the cam from FCP.

Unlike the original question, this is the deciding factor for my A1 purchase. Will the A1 do it or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks.

Heath McKnight May 31st, 2006 12:09 PM

I've used a VCR, Hi-8 and even a BETACAM deck through any number of DV cameras/decks, and even the HD10, to convert footage from analog to DV. But you can't upconvert it to HD. For that, try the JVC BR50 deck.

heath