Hc3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Hc3

I am considering this camera to add to my collection plus its more practical for me to take this along on family trips especailly when you go to those places where you need to make the camera discreet althought I would not get a better picture than the fx1. So I have couple of questions...

Will I be able to play HDV tape that was shot on fx1 on the HC3??

Does the HC3 utilizes the same lith-ion batterey as the fx1??

Thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
I am considering this camera to add to my collection plus its more practical for me to take this along on family trips especailly when you go to those places where you need to make the camera discreet althought I would not get a better picture than the fx1. So I have couple of questions...

Will I be able to play HDV tape that was shot on fx1 on the HC3??

Does the HC3 utilizes the same lith-ion batterey as the fx1??

Thanks
The HC3 does not use the same batteries as the FX1 unfortunately.

I don't have an HC3 but I do have a Z1U and an A1U. The A1U can play tapes recorded on the Z1U and visa-versa. And an FX1 can play tapes recorded on the A1U or the Z1U. Sony's HDV VTRs can play all HC1/A1U/FX1 and Z1U tapes, so I don't see any reason why the HC3 couldn't play tapes created on the FX1.

Afterall, it's a Sony 1080i camcorder, and we're all one big happy family here.

The only exception I can see, which does not apply to the FX1 or HC3, is that only the Sony Pro camcorders, the Z1U and the A1U, can play and record DVCAM tapes.

I hope this helps.

--Dave
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
I don't have an HC3 but I do have a Z1U and an A1U.

--Dave
Thanks for the response. Since you have the best of both worlds...between those two are the picture quality really noticeable?? I was thinking adding the a1 as a second cam if I ever needed a two cam shoot.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
Thanks for the response. Since you have the best of both worlds...between those two are the picture quality really noticeable?? I was thinking adding the a1 as a second cam if I ever needed a two cam shoot.
The picture quality if the Z1U is clearly better. The noise video noise level is lower, especially in low light and the reds are more faithful than those of the A1U. The A1U's images are also much softer than those from the Z1U. That is not to say that the A1U does not create a great image, it's that the Z1U does a better job.

If you would like to see a direct comparison between the Z1U and the HC1 (basically the same as the A1U) visit the following link: http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...on_footage.htm

You may need to register to see these clips. Registration is free.

--Dave

Last edited by Dave F. Nelson; May 18th, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, there's a difference for sure, but is it enough to justify the difference in cost?

Just asking.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes indeed.... thought about the cost difference. But since I already have the fx1...if I do need a second cam shoot then it will likely be another fx1.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series