Depth of field on A1u? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Outram
Hi,

I have been experimenting with my HC1 modes and find that the 'Portrait' mode can be used to reduce DOF. I suspect it simply opens up the Iris to the lowest 'F' value allowed for the given lighting conditions. Conversely there is a 'Landscape' mode that may work to increase DOF although I have not tested this. I have a Canon SLR and it has similiar functions. For the HC1 it is explained on page 44 of the user manual.

[For shallow DOF: In brighter light I would add a couple of ND filters onto the front. I have found the optimum background blur to be achieved by zooming in at least half way on the slider -and ideally as much as possible- and placing the subject 1/3 distance to background...]

Finally, here is an online DOF calculator to have a play with:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Regards, Nick.
You are correct on both modes. Landscape and nighttime also focus basically on infinity so do not use them for anything close up.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #32
New Boot

setup adapter

here some photo's of the letus-adapter on the hc1

http://www.streamload.com/xid/RIMG0001s.JPG

http://www.streamload.com/xid/RIMG0006s.JPG

http://www.streamload.com/xid/RIMG0008s.JPG
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Cool kit

Wow! That IS a cool piece of kit. I have heard of people making home-brew adapters but this looks good and for $300 !! Where's my cheque book!!!

I would be interested to see the results you are getting with this -even some still frames would be great/adequate.

Also, you lose what, 1.5 stops of light? Have you found it an issue?

What lenses are you using on the front? (Do you use a prime / zoom or can you use the camera zoom?)

Sorry, many questions, v. excited!
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #34
Major Player

It looks very nice. There are two setups: the normal one and the flip version. With the normal version, you need to flip the image in post, with the flip version, your image is flipped for you so your viewfinder and lcd have a normal image. You lose around 1,5 stops of light, depending on the lens you use.

You cannot use the camera zoom as you are zooming/focussing on a groundglass image so your camera focus/zoom needs to stay put. You focus/zoom with the 35mm lens. You can however change the aparture with the camera and the lens, but the lens will be the most convenient.

I do not own this lens, but this is what I was told.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Which lenses

Oh I forgot to ask: which type/make of lenses can you fit?

(I have a range of Canon SLR lenses, that would be ideal...hopes for good news!)
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM   #36
MPS Digital Studios

Opening the iris to let in more light gives the image a more shallow depth of field.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series