A1 & HC3 question...... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Well, I'm speaking from initial impressions and am not afraid to revise my opinion if needed, but I have a feeling it won't change. I've seen footage of other users and have not been impressed.

Other than that, however, I think the A1U is a great little camera. I'm thinking of buying another.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM   #17
Trustee

Did some test in post. Shot a tiger centipede crawling across the floor, then panned a landscape from top of our building. Yuck. Not sure about the A1, but there noticeably less details in the cinema effect. Your forced to put the HC1 into auto lock mode for this, so you have zero options. Best to do 24p in post from 1080i source with the HC1 (my opinion). My guess is that the A1 allows more settings, but uses the same internal method as the HC1.

Still, agree with Rob, it's a decent HDV cam.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake London
I totally get the limitations of these cameras in the realm of 24fps.
Like I said before I work with the HVX so really anything important is covered.

I just wanted something small for the beach and pool that at least had a fake 24fps look to it.

It just is a look I prefer, in no way am I seeking perfection from the HC3.

Any Mac based programs that work like cineform?

Thanks for all the great input guys!

I think you will be happy with the camera since it will be small and will probably work quite well with the auto settings, allowing you to enjoy your vacation and be a tourist instead of a camera operator.

Sony lists CineFrame as a "film-type look imaging 24/30 (in HDV-2 1080i, 23.98 as interlaced fields with 2:3 pulldown within an overall 29.97 frame rate/59.94 field rate)".

So, inverse pulldown should work. Final Cut Pro will do this with Cinema Tools and a reverse telecine. Christopher Coppola uses this method to insert Z1U shots (that were missed in the field) and later color corrects them to match his VariCam shots for his show "The Biker Chef". In addition, you could use something like Lumiere HD (http://www.lumierehd.com/) --- sort of Cineform-like, I guess...

HDLink just provides an easy way to do this in one step for those who wish to use the Cineform codec on a PC.

Last edited by John McManimie; May 23rd, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:32 PM   #19
New Boot

Is Cinema-Effect the exact same thing as CineFrame minus the manual adjustments?

(just because the two keep getting used interchangably)

I don't have the funds to purchase correct software that will allow me to capture the video in the whole 'pulldown' thing, so I guess I'll never have a non-biased opinion on it.

I do have another question though, If I view my video captured in the Cinema-Effect from my camera hooked up to an HD-TV... with it properly show the footage? or is the ONLY way to properly view footage taken with Cinema-Effect to actually capture it first with the proper pulldown, the view it?

jg
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gerber
Is Cinema-Effect the exact same thing as CineFrame minus the manual adjustments?
Yes, it is basically Cineframe24 on auto.

Quote:
I don't have the funds to purchase correct software that will allow me to capture the video in the whole 'pulldown' thing, so I guess I'll never have a non-biased opinion on it.
I think that you can do inverse telecine in AVISynth and some other FREE tools.

Quote:
I do have another question though, If I view my video captured in the Cinema-Effect from my camera hooked up to an HD-TV... with it properly show the footage? or is the ONLY way to properly view footage taken with Cinema-Effect to actually capture it first with the proper pulldown, the view it?
You'll really need to give it a try. It is really best if the target is SD because there is a loss of resolution (but the resulting resolution is still higher than a Canon SD camcorder in Frame Movie mode).
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #21
Tourist

HC3 motion artefacts

I am considering upgrading to HD video. Currently have a mixture of Sony DV cameras which I use for making sea kayaking videos.
My main concern is whether the compression needed for HD will produce serious motion artefacts. Sitting in a kayak going up and down with waves and action all around how will HD compression cope?
To see what kind of action I mean have a look at this video which is highly compressed.
http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/p.../pirates13.wmv
Any advice much appreciated
JJ
Jeff Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

When we used CineFrame 24 on my flick 3 Sisters Jon Fordham and I knew that rapid movement of both actors and camera would create distortion of the image. We were very careful and found it to work.

CineForm allows you to remove the pulldown, which gives you 24p. This is for PC-based NLEs only.

You could always shoot in 60i and use any number of 24p filters.

heath
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM   #23
Major Player

Heath, what is the link to your film 3 sisters, the link above doesnt work.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

I fixed it.

hwm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series