HC1 being used professionally - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Trustee

Hey Robert, small world indeed. I work in Wyomissing, for Arrow, and live in Muhlenberg.

Used the HC1 for a wedding, eh? How were the results? I find the cam a little soft when sticking with the 1080i for output, but 720p and SD down is tac sharp. Were you pleased with the colors? Were you locked off on a tripod, or using a shoulder rig?

You're right about the light. I'm testing some studio shots and finding out that it takes a heck of a lot light to make 100 IRE before I have open IRIS past 1.8 0dB. Then it's hello noise and goodbye image.
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Peter,
how do you find the comparison between your 2 cameras, when you view the results in a widescreen 1080 HD monitor?

thx,
hornady.
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:29 AM   #18
Trustee

If you mean between the XL1s and HC1? I don't have a 1080 monitor, I do have a 42" Sony Bravia 720p. On that, it's night and day, the resolution of the HC1 alone wins it. On an SD monitor, the XL1s can beat the HC1 in colors. In the field or when on the run, the XL1s has settings to get the shot much faster than the HC1. Go figure, the XL1s it's designed to compete with ENG type cameras.

If you have the time for setup and are careful with the lighting, you can use the HC1 in some professional shoots. (i.e. docs or interviews in natural daylight, etc.)

If you jump out of a plane, (as mentioned before) where access to buttons and settings are not ideal, and/or you need a small form factor HDV camera then the HC1/A1U is the tool. When doing color correction in post to get the shot is worth it.

If you want do undercover work, the 120X zoom and Nighshot mode of the HC1 is the ticket.

If you want to look like a tourist, a stripped down HC1/A1U will give you the most resolution to work with.

If your just shooting family moments and kids running around the yard, and your ok with full auto, don't mind weak reds, and you plan on viewing this on your HD set, then the HC1 (or the HC3) is the only solution, in my opinion. Years later, when junior is graduating or getting married, you may want a small compilation of his life, and won't you be glad that you at least shot his first day's of walking, bike riding, etc. in 1080i HDV?

I've learned that it's not a matter of good camera/bad camera, it's more using the right tool for the right job. Now a couple of years from now, when and if Canon gets into the small form factor HDV game, and we get palm size HDV with ENG type colors, oh boy. Until then, this is the solution.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM   #19
Regular Crew

thank you Peter.

speaking of junior, makes my mind wonder...all this video hi-tech we're discussing now... what would it heard like 20 years from now... i mean, just imagine 20 years ago, there were people discussing the so-high-tech betamax giant camera... and now we're speaking proudly of HDV & stuffs....:)
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

HC1 i was tested thru and it's OK to use for pro.

HI,
my HC1 was stolen, but i did some test and i m oK with it.
the full manual setting is possible to work, u need to find out the iris setting.
i never use auto anyhow,
try to run a test a screen grab of HC1 and a Z1 ansd ask people which one is 5K Z1 and which is 1.7K HC1
everybody hates u. becuase no one can tell if u set up right.

sound --to me i don;t use mp3 so i rather use another recorder.

i have no money t o buy hc3 and i switch to JVC HD101E, but by no means i don;t like Hc1, if u like to impress client with big camera , try to beef up with a huge matte box and a "fake" camera body:)

i secretly made a test when i was shooting with panasonic varicam , and took a HC1 and shot on top on varicam, i have to say , varicam is better but just not much better.
JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Trustee

Tommorrow I'm taking the HC1 to it's first job site. I have to shoot some procedures in the OR, and we're discussing the script, and I'll have a walk through to discuss shots and setup. Usually I just take some notes and mentally visualize where stuff needs to go, and possible places for B-Roll, etc. Then I come back, sometimes weeks later, well prepared for the actually shooting.

With HC1, I can put clipboard down and just shoot stuff. When I mentioned bringing a cam to scout the area, they asked what cam, I said, "Oh, just a handycam..." OK, sure, no problem : )

So, I'll have my 'notes' in 1080i...
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #22
Trustee

I think we're gonna put the HC1 into play

It was a good day in Philly. After four hours meetings and touring the facilities at UPenn, I was very happy to have brought the HC1 with me.

I mounted the camera on a cheap monopole and took shots of specific areas of interest and some B-roll. Having the cam handy (pun intended), we were able to quickly determine the best rooms and locations for shooting.

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browse...p?c=33&userid=

The camera did not draw much attention, unlike a few times when I carried my XL1s kit in. Other than the occasional look from a security guard (to be expected), most folks took little notice and left me be. The only question I had was with the security guard at the entrance. "Are you affiliated with any news channel or crew?"

I do appreciate these officers doing their job. I just can't stand the constant interruptions of onlookers and gawkers getting in the way. Sure these cams are nice, and I'd love to talk shop, but I'm working here...

I've found that the HC1 loves two things. Sunlight, and fortunately, very bright surgical lights. Even though the sample clips I've shot were handheld, with EIS on, and interlaced (I will use a tripod with fluid head). My final piece will go out as a windows media 480p on CD-Rom. Plenty of room and very sharp on the final test, (not too shabby at 720p either). It's too soft at 1080i for 1080i viewing. I was able to manage an F2/125 setting with 0dB just at 100IRE. The image was bright and clearly useable.

At the end of the day my arms and shoulders were not sore at all. The HC1, even rigged on a monopole, was a delight to have. It made the job that much easier.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series