Is the HC3 sharper than the A1u? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Is the HC3 sharper than the A1u?

From the footage ive seen , the HC3 seems to be sharper than the A1u, speciffically Jung's 24p footage he posted.

I dont know if they are different chips or what, can someone clarify if they should look different, or are they actually the same resolution-wise? thank you.

Nevermind, im retarded. the footage Jung shot was with the hc1, not HC3. So that leaves another question,

IS the HC1 sharper than the A1U. or should they be the same?
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

when you shoot in the 24 mode on the HC1, you loose a lot of resolution so you can't compare the two by that footage. The HC1 and A1u will be the same as far as sharpness and resolution goes. I believe there was a previous post where we agreed that the HC1 looked slightly (barely noticable) sharper then the HC3.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The HC3 takes off under low-lit situations. However, under ideal lighting situations, the HC1/A1 will provide slightly sharper images than the HC3. To be quite honest, it'll be unoticeable unless you're freezing frames and scrutinizing each frame. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Schultz
IS the HC1 sharper than the A1U. or should they be the same?
In theory they are very similar cameras, based on the same core, so the results should be identical. If they are different, then I suspect the Sony engineers might have cranked up the "sharpness" setting a little bit or something, but as far as I know, teh A1U and HC1 are identical in terms of the imager and resolution. The differences lie in audio interface features and image settings (e.g. A1U offers black stretch).
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Major Player

HC1 and A1 are to all intents and purposes, same video.

Slight difference with thigns like Black Stretch switched-on in A1, but that doesn't affect sharpness.

HC3 vs HC1 - well this has been 'done to death' really i think on several DV sites, and i agree with Alexnder Karol that really there's little appreciable difference when watching video footage on a big screen.

There IS more of a difference when it comes to color balance, tone, color saturation and things like that.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Major Player

ya, from what ive seen, the HC3 does a way better job than the HC1 for red color reproduction. i wonder, does the A1u have a good red color reproduction? or does it lack that just as the HC1 did.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Schultz
ya, from what ive seen, the HC3 does a way better job than the HC1 for red color reproduction. i wonder, does the A1u have a good red color reproduction? or does it lack that just as the HC1 did.
Reds on the A1 seem to have the same issue as the Hc1.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:46 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

The A1 and HC1 are similar, like the Z1 and FX1. And shooting in CF24 does indeed cut down on vertical resolution.

heath
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:46 AM   #9
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
[...] shooting in CF24 does indeed cut down on vertical resolution
Yes it does, and if you care about the details, check out Adam Wilt's excellent description and discussion of Cineframe 30 and Cineframe 25 on his web site at: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Adam rocks.

hwm
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #11
Trustee

The HC3 does not have cinemode right?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My A1 doesn't seem to present the red color problem some are talking about. I'm not the only one without this problem neither.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series