DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Sony WA Lens Protection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/68259-sony-wa-lens-protection.html)

James Gerber May 26th, 2006 05:51 PM

Sony WA Lens Protection

Anyone here have thoughts on how to protect a VCL-HG0737 lens?

Unfortunately it does not have threadings for any filters, and I'm a little hesitant to use it in windy/sandy situations (ie: beaches, etc...)

Didn't know if there was some sort of 'snap-on filter' or even a DIY method.

thanks,

jg

J. Stephen McDonald May 26th, 2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Gerber

Unfortunately it does not have threadings for any filters, and I'm a little hesitant to use it in windy/sandy situations (ie: beaches, etc...)

thanks,

jg

I often fit lenses that have no outer threads with filters. I go to camera shops that have a lot of used accessories and filters of many odd sizes. I poke through their bins until I find a filter that has an outer rim that is just slightly larger than the lens barrel. Ideally, it will snugly slip over the lens with just a little force. Then, I neatly wrap a couple of 3/4-inch strips of black duct tape around the margin. It holds nicely, but comes off quickly, if necessary. The "hose-bandage" tape for patching radiator hoses is the best and can be bought at most grocery stores.

John Godden May 26th, 2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Gerber

thanks,

jg

It shouldn't be difficult to epoxy a step up ring to the lip of the converter. You could then put any filter type on at that point. Sounds a little cheesy but it would definately work.

Anyone know why Sony didn't put threads on the front of this lens? Seems rather "cheap".
JohnG

James Gerber May 26th, 2006 10:44 PM

thanks guys!

lots of good ideas there!
(I'm not sure why they didn't put threads on it, maybe it's an irregular size, so any standard filters would not fit even if it did have some?)

I guess either method would work (step up ring, or taping a slightly larger filter)
I'm gonna measure it up, and see what type of filter may be just a bit larger than it.

thanks again,

jg

Stu Holmes May 27th, 2006 08:33 AM

I like the epoxy-a-stepup-ring idea. Hadn't thought of that.

Ah!! As i type I just thought of a downside... if you epoxy a stepup ring onto the front, you won't be able to use the supplied lens cap anymore..

Laurence Kingston May 27th, 2006 09:57 AM

If you use the Cavision lens hood, it is threaded for an 83mm filter. I use a simple UV filter with the Cavision lens hood and it works great. The Century Optics 37mm WA lens is threaded and can be used with a UV filter but the quality of the image with this lens is just awful. My recommendation is to use the Cavision lens hood with an 83mm UV filter.

J. Stephen McDonald May 27th, 2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes

Ah!! As i type I just thought of a downside... if you epoxy a stepup ring onto the front, you won't be able to use the supplied lens cap anymore..

You could glue in a step-ring that fit inside the lens rim, but then there'd probably be more vignetting. If you look through the used accessory bins at a camera store, there might be a lens cap that would fit over the ring and filter. I have found caps that fit telexes among the lids for small plastic containers. I spray paint them flat-black, using vinyl paint intended for use on upholstery-----it sticks better and is flexible.

John Godden May 28th, 2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes

Any filter you attach will have a snap-on lens cap available.

If you found a step up ring that had a very close fit to the inside lip of the adapter, I doubt you would have a vinette(sp) issue.

Regards
JohnG

J. Stephen McDonald May 28th, 2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godden
available.If you found a step up ring that had a very close fit to the inside lip of the adapter, I doubt you would have a vinette(sp) issue.

Regards
JohnG

Most add-on telex lenses and some WA lenses will vignette without any filter, when backed-off on the zoom. Most all of them will vignette if any attachment makes their outer rim smaller. This might be a reason that few of them are equipped with outer threads. However, if outer male threads were put on the outside of the lens rim, this could solve the problem, but larger filters with female threads would be needed. Some filters might be turned backwards, to do this.