HC3 Questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM   #31
Major Player

hc3 and gl2

Looking to purchase the hc3, have read and reread many of the posts and looking for further info.

Main reason for selecting the hc3 over the fx1 is the smaller size and lower cost. Going on the family vacation and the hc3 seems ideal for point and shoot.

After the vacation would like to use the hc3 along with the canon gl2 cameras. Currently recoding weddings with the canons in the 4x3 aspect ratio.

What would be the best way to record the hc3 video to match the canons 4x3 sd video?

Can I mix the use of the sony hdv and mini dv tapes or should I use only the hdv tapes?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. THANKS
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #32
New Boot

Hc3 & Fcp5 sequence settings

So I just shot alittle with my HC3 in HD mode. I want to work with FCP and got the footage captured.... which was odd bcause it was 80% behind the realtime playback. What should my sequence settings be for editing? I used the preset for HDV1080 60 but when i drop the footage onto the timeline it needs to be rendered? Also on capture is it normal for the tape to computer to be behind like that?

Just wondering what everyone is doing as far as workflow using HC3 & FCP
Jake London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #33
Tourist

Computer Specs?

Jake,

What type of computer (Apple) are you using. Memory/CPU etc. Would help us determine if it is slow for a reason?

Erik
Erik A. Polta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #34
New Boot

Well I was messing around on my 12inch PB which is propably the problem.
It will in the end be used on my G5 Dual 4gig ram. I guess I just found it intresting to see a lag in time.

My main concern is setting up a proper sequence that does not need to be render when footage is dropped down. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for any input.
Jake London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM   #35
Major Player

HC3 Unmanned Settings For Stage/Ballet

I just bought two HC3s to use unmanned in conjunction with my two manned VX2100s (so everything is shot in SD).

The plan is to set up the unmanned HC3s on each side of the stage so the cameras will be right up there with the actors and dancers.

The lights are going to change a lot and I expect a good amount of dim lighting followed by bright spotlights (typical stage lights - all over the place).

Needless to say, I don't need every shot from the HC3s since I'm multi-cam editing. I just want to get a lot of usable footage.

First of all, do I just push the EASY button on the HC3 and hope for the best or should I do a white balance and put it in spotlight mode? I didn't see anything called infinite zoom. Is the Landscape the same thing (even though I'm not shooting at a distance)?

I'm obviously trying to match the VX2100 color to make my editing life easier, but after being tortured by matching a Canon GL1 to Sony, I think I can handle most anything the HC3 throws at me.
-Scott

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #36
New Boot

Raynox 220Pro Tele on HC3 Sample Included

I bought two Raynoxes the 220pro and the 3031pro,

Actually I just need a wide angle, but why not, the tele too.

Surpise Surprise:

It say that some vignetting may occur when in wide angle on the camera....

Thats an understatement. :) When I put the lens on the camera, I thought the aperture was stuck :)

You have to zoom half way to loose "vignetting"......

The sharpness is sort of ok, I guess. There is a lot of color abberation
in subjects with contrast however.

Here is a 10meg 720p Windows Media file:

http://www.bali3d.com/temp/raynox-220pro.wmv

(With a monpod, but still nervous)

The file above will not stay forever on the site,
so if you get "File not found" you are too late ....

Bert

http://www.bali3d.com/

Last edited by Bert Vierstra; September 4th, 2006 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Bert Vierstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #37
New Boot

Raynox 3031Pro Wide Angle on HC3 Sample Included

Raynox 3031Pro Wide Angle on HC3 Sample Included

I need a wide angle, because I expect to do some interior shots of houses.

I ordered the Sony, but it still hasn't arrived. My guess is that 0.7
doesn't do the trick for me anyway. I saw a Raynox 0.5 that seemed nice,
but out of stock, will get that one later, but the 3031 0.3 semi fish I
had to have too. :)

When zoomed out fully, its reasonable sharp, but distortion is heavy,
especially at the edges.

Specially when you do a pan, its a very noticable, "funny" effect.

You can zoom in about 30-40%, but any further and the lens becomes unsharp,
beginning at the edges, and unacceptable unsharp when fully zoomed in.

Nice is that you can get very very close to subjects, to allmost touching
the lens, and the depth of field is large.

Here is a 42meg 720p 56 seconds Windows Media file:

http://www.bali3d.com/temp/raynox-fish-short.wmv

The file above will not stay forever on the site,
so if you get "File not found" you are too late ....

Bert

http://www.bali3d.com/
Bert Vierstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #38
Regular Crew

The best thing to do is run a test during a dress rehearsal. Try different settings, go back to the office and watch them.

The settings that have worked best for me on other cameras (such as VX2000) are did not seem great with the HC3 in one test. I need to do another test, because they should work. Those settings are:

1. Set Program AE to Spotlight. (This biases the exposure to the image center)
2. Set AE Shift to -4. (This darkens the image more. It is better to pull detail out of the shadows in post than to try to retrieve an image out of blown highlights)
3. Set WB to Indoor. (This works if the stage lighting is based on 3200K)
4. Set WB Shift to +1 (red) (This helps if there are follow-spots that usually are more like daylight balance.)

Like I said, this has worked will with other cameras, but the jury is still out on the HC-3. Try these as a part of your tests. Please report your results here.

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #39
Major Player

Thanks Buddy,
I'll try one HC3 on those settings and another HC3 on "Easy".
-Scott

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #40
Major Player

Hood on HC3

There was a question in [another website] about using a hood on HC3. Athough I did register some time ago, I am not allowed to post there. I am a "hood believer" and quite often I use a well matched (self made) hood on my HC3.
I did a number of critical tests, and my conclusion is, that as long as there is no direct sunlight falling onto the lensfront, there is no difference in contrast ratio (black level lift) or image forming glare effects, with or without a hood. This has also been verified verified by a waveform monitor.
Because the HC3 has a relatively deep laying, and partly screened off frontlens, the risk for direct sunlight getting onto the lens is small. I have my hood on, only for the situations where I have to film almost towards the sunlight. When the 30mm polar is mounted there is a bigger risk for glare effects.

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; September 12th, 2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #41
Major Player

New Raynox HD Telextender Made for HC3

Raynox is now selling an HD-rated, 2.2X telextender, intended for the HC3 or other camcorders of its size. It is the HD2200PRO and has a 37mm mounting thread and comes with 5 step-rings, including a 30-37mm one, to fit the HC3. It has a resolution rating of 200 lines-per-millimeter at lens center. Raynox claims it vignettes only in the bottom 50% of its zoom range on the HC3, which would give more usable zoom range at the top than many telex lenses. Even if Raynox is exaggerating about this relatively large vignette-free zone, even half that much clear range at the top would make it useful for long shots. It's very light, weighing less than 4 oz. (113 gm.) I haven't tried it or even seen it, but my experience with the Raynox telex I describe below, indicates that it may give good performance.

I've been using Raynox's large DCR-2020PRO 2.2X telextender on my VX2100 and a 2.1 MP digital still camera, with excellent optical results. It does vignette throughout the bottom 85% of the VX2100's zoom range, but for extra-long shots, it does very well. On my 2.1 MP still camera, it vignettes only in the bottom 65% of the zoom range and gives images as sharp as when not using any extra lens.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #42
Tourist

To buy or not to buy ?

Hello !
I'm from Italy and next month i'll be in New York for 10 days.
I'm interested in the Sony HC3 to make a great movie, but in a few month the new Camcorder with the hard disk will be out !
What i have to do ???
Thanks for any help !
Riccardo Marsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #43
Regular Crew

HC3 Flawless recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo Marsetti
Hello !
I'm from Italy and next month i'll be in New York for 10 days.
I'm interested in the Sony HC3 to make a great movie, but in a few month the new Camcorder with the hard disk will be out !
What i have to do ???
Thanks for any help !
I purchased the Sony HC3 for use on a California 1500 mile vacation. My first impression is that it functions very well. I cannot make any compairisons yet with, (the Canon HV-10) The HV-10 was my first choice, but was not in stock yet. I am swapping back the HC3 for the HV-10 presently.
If indeed you wish to film a movie in HD with limited budget, you might consider another digital sound recording deviceas well. The stock HC3 or HV-10 may not give you what you need for sound. Also, read some of the threads regarding the post editing for the HV-10. To aquire the film like results of 24f there will need to be conversion of footage into 24f from 60f. Good luck on your movie Riccardo!...
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #44
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo Aaron
I purchased the Sony HC3 for use on a California 1500 mile vacation. My first impression is that it functions very well. I cannot make any compairisons yet with, (the Canon HV-10) The HV-10 was my first choice, but was not in stock yet. I am swapping back the HC3 for the HV-10 presently.
If indeed you wish to film a movie in HD with limited budget, you might consider another digital sound recording deviceas well. The stock HC3 or HV-10 may not give you what you need for sound. Also, read some of the threads regarding the post editing for the HV-10. To aquire the film like results of 24f there will need to be conversion of footage into 24f from 60f. Good luck on your movie Riccardo!...
Hi !
Thankyou for the informations !!!
Sony vs. Canon .... ?
Why do you think the HV-10 is better ???
Riccardo Marsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #45
Major Player

HC3 Macro videos

Before everyone tells me I should have used a tripod , my set up needs to be shot hand held due to the 1 inch working distance. DOF is tiny .

Let me know what you think
#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee4mqqMbRvU

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GUlbALVmdI
Joey Atilano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series