DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   A1U Low cut filter question? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/68592-a1u-low-cut-filter-question.html)

Michael Stowe May 31st, 2006 02:51 PM

A1U Low cut filter question?

I am using the ME-64 which most know is very hot. What do I lose by turning on the low cut filter, which definately helps with the small mechnical and other noises.

Evan Dowling May 31st, 2006 04:28 PM

The low cut filter will filter out low frequencies. Usually 50Hz and below but it can differ on each mic. I would definitely use the low cut filter for most applications. It will help stop handling noise and any rumbling like air-conditioners and traffic. The only time I would turn it off is if I was recording music. I would even use it for interviews unless you were in a recording studio.

Michael Stowe May 31st, 2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Dowling
The low cut filter will filter out low frequencies. Usually 50Hz and below but it can differ on each mic. I would definitely use the low cut filter for most applications. It will help stop handling noise and any rumbling like air-conditioners and traffic. The only time I would turn it off is if I was recording music. I would even use it for interviews unless you were in a recording studio.

Thanks Evan. That is what I was thinking, but I a definately wanted more experienced opinions.

Michael Stowe June 2nd, 2006 12:16 AM

Ok. The more I listen to footage inside a room the more I like the filter turned off. Is this uncommon? I just did some tests in a medium size room and really like the filter off compared to on. Only problem...extra noise. Tough one here. I bet I can use a low cut filter in Sony Vegas....other thoughts??? I will be shooting my sons HS grad tomorrow which my wife does not want me to screw up :-)...yes...not the Sundance, but equally important in her eyes.

Thanks

Evan Dowling June 5th, 2006 08:39 AM

Bottom line is go with what you think sounds best. If you have the capability of adding a custom low cut filter later, then that would not be a bad a idea. At least then you would always have both options. Read the manual for your microphone and make sure you know exactly what that low cut filter is doing.

Peter Ferling June 5th, 2006 03:14 PM

If your doing interviews or recording in quiet to semi-quiet places, then I do the following:

If you have sound forge with the noise reduction plugin, or adobe audtion. You should take a sample of the ambience or room noise alone. Then apply that to your noise reduction filter (capture it as a seperate wave file). A good rule of thumb is to watch the level on your meters, and see if the 'floor' or ambience does not cut above the -42db level. Then perform your mike test and place the mic close enough so the speaker peaks somewhere around -6 to -3 without crossing over (clipping) at zero.

That should give you enough seperation to filter out the floor or ambience without cutting into the voice.

I do this all the time with balanced (XLR) mikes on the XL1s, and have managed a very close or tollerant seperation using good quality samson mikes with an unbalanced connection on the HC1. Obviously this seperation will narrow depending on the quality of your mikes and the noise level of the room.