LCD screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Major Player

LCD screen

Is the LCD screen on the HC3 really a transflective type, so it can be used under bright sunlight?. I want a small camcorder able to produce good 16:9 SD (not yet interested in HDV) pictures. I am visually impaired, and I can't use a viewfinder, unless the eyecup closes around my eye.(like my "heavy" VX2000 eyecup does). I bought a Panasonic GS400 a couple of months ago and had to sell it again because I didn't find a larger eyecup for it, and the LCD screen was unusable during the day. Any user can confirm the LCD transflective. property? Thanks.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm a new owner of an A1 (HC1) and not sure if the HC3's flip out monitor is any different but I'm guessing not, or not by much. The A1's does eh....so so in direct sunlight but I bought an HC1 sized "Boxwave" protector for it (the style with even more of an anti glare surface than the stock screen, not the clear, most transmissive one) and it is awesome! Not only does it protect and yield less finger prints but in direct sun about 6:30PM the day I applied it, with the sun over my shoulder shining directly on it, I couldn't believe how much of the image I could see. It was like magic.

Here's a link to one review I found after someone here first mentioned them that I read, and a link in there for the boxwave web site. Highly recommended.

http://www.davespda.com/reviews/other/cleartouch.htm
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use the Boxwave screen protectors and I love it. Not only does it protect my screen without hindering any visibility, but it makes the touch screen more accurate I feel. I recommend it to everyone!

Here are some pics of my A1U with it on:

http://media.sonyhdvinfo.com/media/p...r-a1u/Boxwave/
(NOTE: These pics are large in size, so be patient.)
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, thanks very much Alexander, it was you I read the tip from here.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series