HC3 as in cockpit camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

HC3 as in cockpit camera

We're making some shows on classic aircraft in HD and are looking to film some "in cockpit" shots, as there are no reasonably priced and practical HD minicams available, we are looking to use the HC3. Has anyone tried using the HC1 or HC3 in a similar environment, either as "in car" or on motorbike shots.

I'm wondering how the camera might cope, obviously with manual focus set to infinity and the wide angle adapter added.

I know theoretically HDV doesn't like fast motion, but we've strapped our Z1s into cars with no problems at all.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Major Player

I suspect it'll cope fine and in fact cope better than something like Z1 in a high-G environment as it has Electronic Image Stabilisation (EIS) and not Optical (OIS). I've heard that sometimes OIS systems don't 'like' high-frequency vibration and also the high-G *may* affect the OIS, but i admit that's just a guess. - It might well be perfectly fine.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The HC3 yields great video when used as a cockpit. In fact, someone has done just that and has posted his video online.

There are 3 links at the bottom. The first 2 are from the HC1 and the last one is from the HC3. Check it out:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/CUE/hdv_movie/hdv.htm
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #4
New Boot

Thats great ! The HC3 movie cracked me up . Well worth checking out
David Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just great clips, especially the river shots and the long, 3 minute flight at the end. What terrific implementation of the whole system from remote flight control and performance of the mini plane to the remote camera moves & quality of the footage from that price of a camcorder and to the simulated movements of the "pilot". Amazing stuff. Amazing little camera. The more I learn how to use the sibling A1U properly and compensate for its shortcomings, the happier I am with my purchase.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series