Best ND filter for HC1 to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 18th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Best ND filter for HC1 to buy?

I just learned that you can achieve a better DOF with an ND filter and I'd like to get one for my HC1. Which one is the best to buy, and what company should I buy it from (preferably in Ontario, Canada)? Thanks.
Dare Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Go Cycle

I use an ND 6 on my camera......appears to be a two stop difference on my HC-1. Tiffen is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Kent
I just learned that you can achieve a better DOF with an ND filter and I'd like to get one for my HC1. Which one is the best to buy, and what company should I buy it from (preferably in Ontario, Canada)? Thanks.
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Kent
a better DOF
well there's no such thing as a "better" DOF. Its either shallow or deeper, and which you need depends on what effect you're trying to achieve.
But yes an ND filter will cut light entering lens so camera will use a larger aperture giving shallower DOF which is often useful for doing head'n'shoulders portrait shots.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I took it as meaning he was looking for 'more control' over the depth of field.
Bill McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Major Player

If i need to open the aperature right up i use both teh 37mm Sony ND filter + Polarizer made specifically for the HC1.

Does the job fine, altho I've never measured exactly how many stops that is tho.
Michael Y Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Major Player

Since the HC1 has built in ND filters, an ND8 (3stop) is not much use since it simply replaces the effect of what the camera already has. If you need to be at F1.8 in bright conditions then you will need 2 x ND8s or a single 5-6stop if you can find one.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
Since the HC1 has built in ND filters, an ND8 (3stop) is not much use since it simply replaces the effect of what the camera already has.
This is an excellent point and one which i had not personally previously considered.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Major Player

HC1 doesn't use those nd filters until at f4.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series