Panasonic/JVC tapes okay to use with hc-3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic/JVC tapes okay to use with hc-3?

I have my stock pile of tapes that I bought for my old digital camcorders.
I assume they will work fine with hc-3?

Thanks
Richard Yium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

They will work fine - after all they only have to record ones and zeros. But I wouldn't mix tape brands and if I were you, I'd ask myself this: what tape did Sony use when they put 1000000 hours of pre-production testing through the HC-3's deck mechanism? Right - sony tape.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #3
New Boot

Doesn't Sony use a different lubrication than the other brands?
Richard Yium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Trustee

I always use FUJI DVC in all my camcorders, had zero issues, until one time I ran out tape stock and bought a Maxell pro or something. Bad idea, it jammed my XL1s within the first minute. I had to send it in for warranty repairs. That was several months ago, I continued with the FUJI's and now make sure I always have plenty on the shelf.

The idea of sticking to one brand is good advice for all cameras. In fact, when I have a house dub or transfer to a miniDV tape, I supply them with a blank FUJI.

When I purchased my HC1, I put a FUJI in it while at the store, closed the door, crossed my fingers and pressed record. It worked out fine. I've already put a dozen more through it since and had zero issues.

I'm not one for reusing tapes. It's cheap insurance to spend $5 and avoid a warranty repair.
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jiffy lube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Yium
Doesn't Sony use a different lubrication than the other brands?
Yes, I know from experience that sony and panasonic have different lube.
One uses a dry lube and the other a "wet" lube. I can't remember who uses what, but the upshot is that both brands are fine - just stick with one. Don't mix/match - that's what leads to clogged heads, etc.
Your camera gets used to whatever you feed it when new and may not like a change of diet later. OTW you may have to clean heads btw brands or worse.
I feed my DVX camera panasonic tapes and my sony cameras .....sony. It's easier to remember that way, but a pita to stock my shelves.

chris
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Major Player

I've gone through a dozen tapes of various brands on my A1 with no problem. Some brands I've tried: Panasonic (two types), Maxell, Fujifilm, Sony (Excellence and the Digital Master), and no problems so far. Personally, I think the issue is way overplayed with no real substantial proof. But, if you like to play it safe, do stick with one brand. I find the convenience of various types (not all stores carry the same tape, plus sometimes, groups/friends will supply me with a tape that will probably not be the one I want to use to film their project or show) is worth the sacrifice of not using the same brand tapes all the time. Furthermore, I re-use many of the tapes, and still no problems with recording.

The only problem I encountered (but this was while capturing) was with the Maxwells. They wouldn't capture any intelligent picture. It took me four tries to capture it successfully. Lots of the tapes had a few frames that had digital motion artifacts, but I don't think that's considered a dropout.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Alex sound like you have experienced the very problems that mixing tapes cause. Most small dropouts/tape defects are masked by the error correction. When the defect is too much this error correction breaks down causing a variety of visual defects all the way up to no picture for a while. The worst is when they actually jam in the camera. I think that mixing Sony with the others is the worse situation but sticking with one brand is the easiest, whatever that is.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Hmm, well, I guess I'll try buying a small lot of Sony Premiums (without the Memory chip) and try that out.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series