DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   hc3 or hc1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/72181-hc3-hc1.html)

Fred Foronda July 24th, 2006 01:50 PM

hc3 or hc1

I have a fx1 and is very pleased with the results it produces. For recreational trips the fx1 is a tad big to haul around and attracts unwanted attentions. I am stuck between hc3 and the hc1. Between those two..which will give me better and sharper picture quailty.

Thanks

Peter Ferling July 24th, 2006 02:47 PM

I would go with the HC1 if you can find it. I took mine on vacation already. I think the HC3 is too small. I'm not crazy about the thumbwheel zoom/focus control either. Having the larger focus ring was more covenient (probably why Sony brought that and the mic input back with the new AVCHD camcorders).

The HC1, without attachments, didn't draw much attention. I was the happy tourist, shooting full auto most of the time, paying more attention to the vacation and not the cam.

C.S. Michael October 31st, 2006 11:28 AM

I have an HC3. It is small, but that can be an advantage. It's downright stealthy.

My chief complaint is audio quality. I really wish Sony (or someone) would give us an XLR adapter for the HC3!

Steven Bills October 31st, 2006 12:11 PM

HC3 = Awesome

I have the HC3, and I am amazed that I can get HD that is THAT crisp from a camera THAT small. I also bought an external mic so that solves the audio problem for me.

SB

Fred Foronda October 31st, 2006 01:30 PM

Great! Thanks for your feed back guys. As you all know by now the HC1 only can be found at a museum..extinction is the word. I will now settle for the HC3.

Stu Holmes October 31st, 2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.S. Michael
My chief complaint is audio quality. I really wish Sony (or someone) would give us an XLR adapter for the HC3!

You can.
I have seen it done with pictures and instructions. On this site or antoher. not sure. But its been done.

Chris Harris October 31st, 2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
Great! Thanks for your feed back guys. As you all know by now the HC1 only can be found at a museum..extinction is the word. I will now settle for the HC3.

"Settle" is definitely the correct word for what will be happening. If I couldn't obtain an HC1, which as far as I know is still available at B&H, I'd take a look at Canon's handheld offering. Either way, I've yet to see a disappointing HDV camera, so I'm certain you'll enjoy whatever you end up getting.

EDIT: Looks like the HC1 is no longer on B&H.

Fred Foronda November 1st, 2006 12:34 PM

Plus its a no brainer...the HC3 has a HDMI output. Its a perfect for a deck and a good cam to take on trips.

Andy Morris November 22nd, 2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

I have a fx1 and is very pleased with the results it produces. For recreational trips the fx1 is a tad big to haul around and attracts unwanted attentions. I am stuck between hc3 and the hc1. Between those two..which will give me better and sharper picture quailty.

Thanks

From the extensive research I did before I bought my HC3, the test reports I read said that the video quality between the two was, for all intents an purposes equivilent, and that the HC1 had better manual controls. The HC3 has other redeeming features however, like HDMI out, a far better LCD display, and additional zoom control and record buttons located on the LCD (a feature which I have found to be very handy). The HC3 color balance is better (HC1 tends to be a bit red dominant) The HC1 does a bit less sharpening.

My take is that which camera is preferrable very much depends on your personal tastes and the purpose that you are buying the camera for. I recently bought an HC3, and so far, I really like it. The small size was a concern for me, but so far I have not found it to be a problem.

John Rofrano November 22nd, 2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

I will now settle for the HC3.

Faced with the same dilemma I bought an HVR-A1. I remove all the bells and whistles when I take it on vacation so it's the same size as the HC1 but the advantage is that it can now server double-duty as a second camera to my HVR-Z1. I picked it up for $1800USD after a sale at B&H plus a $500 rebate that Sony was running. For me, the extra money was worth it to have a second camera to go with the Z1 and to have the manual control and XLR inputs. I guess if you strictly want a "vacation cam" then the HC3 would be fine because who's going to fiddle with microphones while on vacation anyway.

~jr