hc3 or hc1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

hc3 or hc1

I have a fx1 and is very pleased with the results it produces. For recreational trips the fx1 is a tad big to haul around and attracts unwanted attentions. I am stuck between hc3 and the hc1. Between those two..which will give me better and sharper picture quailty.

Thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Trustee

I would go with the HC1 if you can find it. I took mine on vacation already. I think the HC3 is too small. I'm not crazy about the thumbwheel zoom/focus control either. Having the larger focus ring was more covenient (probably why Sony brought that and the mic input back with the new AVCHD camcorders).

The HC1, without attachments, didn't draw much attention. I was the happy tourist, shooting full auto most of the time, paying more attention to the vacation and not the cam.
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have an HC3. It is small, but that can be an advantage. It's downright stealthy.

My chief complaint is audio quality. I really wish Sony (or someone) would give us an XLR adapter for the HC3!
C.S. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HC3 = Awesome

I have the HC3, and I am amazed that I can get HD that is THAT crisp from a camera THAT small. I also bought an external mic so that solves the audio problem for me.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Great! Thanks for your feed back guys. As you all know by now the HC1 only can be found at a museum..extinction is the word. I will now settle for the HC3.
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael
My chief complaint is audio quality. I really wish Sony (or someone) would give us an XLR adapter for the HC3!
You can.
I have seen it done with pictures and instructions. On this site or antoher. not sure. But its been done.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
Great! Thanks for your feed back guys. As you all know by now the HC1 only can be found at a museum..extinction is the word. I will now settle for the HC3.
"Settle" is definitely the correct word for what will be happening. If I couldn't obtain an HC1, which as far as I know is still available at B&H, I'd take a look at Canon's handheld offering. Either way, I've yet to see a disappointing HDV camera, so I'm certain you'll enjoy whatever you end up getting.

EDIT: Looks like the HC1 is no longer on B&H.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Plus its a no brainer...the HC3 has a HDMI output. Its a perfect for a deck and a good cam to take on trips.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have a fx1 and is very pleased with the results it produces. For recreational trips the fx1 is a tad big to haul around and attracts unwanted attentions. I am stuck between hc3 and the hc1. Between those two..which will give me better and sharper picture quailty.

Thanks
From the extensive research I did before I bought my HC3, the test reports I read said that the video quality between the two was, for all intents an purposes equivilent, and that the HC1 had better manual controls. The HC3 has other redeeming features however, like HDMI out, a far better LCD display, and additional zoom control and record buttons located on the LCD (a feature which I have found to be very handy). The HC3 color balance is better (HC1 tends to be a bit red dominant) The HC1 does a bit less sharpening.

My take is that which camera is preferrable very much depends on your personal tastes and the purpose that you are buying the camera for. I recently bought an HC3, and so far, I really like it. The small size was a concern for me, but so far I have not found it to be a problem.
Andy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
I will now settle for the HC3.
Faced with the same dilemma I bought an HVR-A1. I remove all the bells and whistles when I take it on vacation so it's the same size as the HC1 but the advantage is that it can now server double-duty as a second camera to my HVR-Z1. I picked it up for $1800USD after a sale at B&H plus a $500 rebate that Sony was running. For me, the extra money was worth it to have a second camera to go with the Z1 and to have the manual control and XLR inputs. I guess if you strictly want a "vacation cam" then the HC3 would be fine because who's going to fiddle with microphones while on vacation anyway.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series