HDV > SD Downconvert and Black Line at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV > SD Downconvert and Black Line

Anyone else notice a 3 to 6 pixel horizontal line running across the top of the frame after in cam downconverting?

The native HDV looks fine but the SD has the line. Easy fix in FCP but I'd rather not have to mess with it.
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Anyone else notice a 3 to 6 pixel horizontal line running across the top of the frame after in cam downconverting?

The native HDV looks fine but the SD has the line. Easy fix in FCP but I'd rather not have to mess with it.

no i havent, but i noticed the huge black bars on top and bottom of the image. i was hoping the downconvert would produce an anamorphic style horizontally squashed image (in order to convert from 16:9 to 4:3). is there a setting that will change this?
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritius Seeger
i was hoping the downconvert would produce an anamorphic style horizontally squashed image (in order to convert from 16:9 to 4:3). is there a setting that will change this?
Well, there's 'Squeze' (Sony's spelling), 'Letter Box' and 'Edge Crop' in the 'DownConvert' section of the P-Menu when you're in 'Play/Edit' mode. Would one of those do it?
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Well, there's 'Squeze' (Sony's spelling), 'Letter Box' and 'Edge Crop' in the 'DownConvert' section of the P-Menu when you're in 'Play/Edit' mode. Would one of those do it?
tragically i don't have that setting. or at least i can't find it in the menue. might that be a difference between the a1 and the hc1?

is there a way to enable the feature set of an a1 on an hc1? i.e. like a software hack?
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This happens with my FX1. When capturing using the in-camera HDV->DV downconvert, a horizontal black line (usually one pixel high but sometimes 3 or 4) appears on the top of all frames of the captured footage. The full sized HDV frame is just fine.

Here are a couple of recent examples:

http://wvlightning.com/stuff/hdvline1.tif
http://wvlightning.com/stuff/hdvline.tif

Also, I see a pulsing vertical 'vibration' in the preview window on the computer during downconverted capturing. This doesn't show up in the captured footage playback though, but I suspect it might be related to whatever the source of this problem is.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i know this wasnt the original issue in the thread, but i finally figured out why my HC1 DV output is letterboxed.

when capturing to DV (using the ilink conversion from HD to DV) the 'TV type' (16:9 or 4:3) affects the type of DV output - in addition to the analogue output. if set to 16:9 then the output is widescreen anamorphic otherwise its letterboxed.

so what on the A1 is sensibly named downconvert is called tv type - or something very simmilar - on the HC1

i just never thought 'TV' could affect 'DV' but then it must go through the same path as analogue.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series