HC3 - Slow Motion Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 1st, 2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC3 - Slow Motion Footage

Hello everyone, just got the HC3 and eager to try out the slo mo effect went down to the Sth Bank in London to shoot a few frames..
I am pretty happy with the quality after reading many posts of unhappy people - looks great on my 28in W/S CRT - no HD yet!!

Anyway for you to all to check out.

http://www.rollingcloudz.com/movies

or

http://www.rollingcloudz.com/movies/HC3%20SloMo.mov

Last edited by Quinn OConnell; September 1st, 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Updated with new Skateboarding clip

Updated with new Skateboarding clip
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Very nice Quinn. I am not familiar with the HC3, is slo mo a feature of this camera or did you accomplish this in post ?
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis,

Just logged back in, its a Sony HDR-HC3 mini dv Hd camera, it has a function to shoot 3 seconds @ 240fPS and then saves to tape at 12 secs more of a gimmik than of much use but for internet use its a great function..

Q
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Does the A1 have this feature? I didn't see anything in the manual about it. Why would it be limited to 3 seconds?
Joel L. Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM   #6

The A1 doesn't have this feature. The feature is limited due to on-camera storage buffer. It would need a lot more memory. Bear in mind that 3 seconds of super slo mo is 12 seconds on your timeline.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
New Boot

Quinn,

I got an HC3 yesterday and shot some footage with the slo-mo feature today. I haven't loaded it up on the computer yet. Every time I had the camera in that mode, the LCD screen showed an image which looked like the focus went out. Looking at the clips in playback on the LCD, they still looked out of focus. I zoomed in on the playback and there's a real loss of detail at least looking at it that way.

Have you noticed the same thing and did it look the same when you got it into the computer?

I'm wondering why that happens. As I think about it, it may be that the image is compressed more heavily during storage before going to tape. There's no mention I've found in the manual of an image quality change when using that mode.
Scott Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Scott,

Yes, thats exactly what i got aswell, i think its the compression . The footage is still more than acceptable in my opinion for watching on my 28in CRT and in a way great for web distribution. While not as good as perhaps slowing HD footage down in post, you can actually slow it down even more with really good (smooth) playback.. no jittering..
I'll try and get a Full res clip up in the next day or 2.

Quinn
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series