A1U Discontinued? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Sponsor: divergent media

A1U Discontinued?

I'm trying to ahold of four A1U. Sony claims up to 60 day backorder, and stocks seem to be draining everywhere. Anyone know an official story?
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't have any stories, official or otherwise, but our Sponsor B&H Photo has the A1 in stock at the moment...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #3
New Boot

When I looked at B&H a few days ago, there was a special price on it and it showed to be in stock. Also, there's a rebate going on so it seems like a good time to get one. I was considering it but I couldn't afford to spend that much.
Scott Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Trustee

I contacted the repair facility today on the status of my busted HC1. Parts are still on back order (same parts as found in an A1U). I inquired pretty much the same question and was told that if Sony discontinued any particular item or camera, they would have been informed and I would have been given other options. It takes 2-4 weeks for delivery of items in the consumer market.

Man I miss that camera. I had some interior car shoots and fumbling with a shoulder mounted DV camera made things a little cramped.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Sponsor: divergent media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I don't have any stories, official or otherwise, but our Sponsor B&H Photo has the A1 in stock at the moment...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I'm going to try contacting them when they reopen. J&R has one in stock as well, as does amazon. Unfortunately, it's my employer (a University) which is purchasing them, and they don't exactly turn on a time. My PO is for buying the items directly from Sony. Grrr. Hopefully I can work something else, as there aren't exactly a lot of sub-$3k HDV cameras with XLR audio and whatnot to choose from.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Tell me about it, corporate PO's take forever. I've been back and forth on upgrades for some time now. I had a request to budget two Z1U's, but changed it to a Canon XL-H1, with reserve for an XL-A1. I'm patiently waiting and fear discontinuance as well, meaning I'd have to resubmit, so I'm going for product that we be available when sign off comes around.

If I remember correctly, B&H will accept purchase orders from qualified institutions. Do call them, I think your accounting will need to provide bank and business reference information.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Sponsor: VASST

I just ordered one from B&H on Friday and it arrived today so they definitely have them in stock. After the Sony rebate it only cost me $1800 USD. That’s a pretty sweet deal.

~jr
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano
I just ordered one from B&H on Friday and it arrived today so they definitely have them in stock. After the Sony rebate it only cost me $1800 USD. That’s a pretty sweet deal.

~jr
Hi John. Curious as to how you managed to get a net price of USD1800! On BHphoto.com today the "add to cart for lowr price" is $2499 and then after the $500 rebate, that would be $1999 which is the price its been for a while now. love to know how you managed to get $1800 net price !

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Tourist

A1 from B&H

We just ordered two A1's from B&H. $2499 with a mail-in $500 rebate, each. They arrived overnight.
Ken Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
love to know how you managed to get $1800 net price ! thanks
I got it with the WEVA show discount which was cheaper than the regular web price. You had to attend the WEVA convention to get the discount codes. (sorry, I should have mentioned that, my bad) Even without that it's still a great price.

~jr
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm having a good weekend. Picked up a used copy of Vegas 4 for $57 on ebay, then upgraded it to Vegas 7 for $135. Picked up Cinescore deal while I was upgrading. This morning got the green light to get an HVR-A1U :)

Konrad
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series