A1U vs. A1J at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1
New Boot

A1U vs. A1J

I have looked around and searched the boards, but just can't find an answer to a lingering question of mine.

I found the A1J on the web for $1700 or so, and ordered it. The sales guy called my and told me that I'd have to get a charger that worked in the US and upgrade the battery, blah blah... So I spent the $2100 for the US model he recommended.

Now I have the unit in my hands and it is an A1J (model on bottom), with English menu's and NTSC format. How did he do that? Can you clone the A1U in a A1J body with a firmware update?

Can someone lists the differences between the two models for me? I really like this unit and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I just don't like anyone getting over on me.

Thanks,
tt
Terry Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #2

If you bought an A1J in the USA, you have a Japanese camcorder. It's a violation of Sony's dealer agreement for them to sell it to you in the USA, and you have no warranty coverage in the USA.
This is what's known as "Grey market selling" and is something to be avoided at all costs.
B&H for instance, has that camcorder with a rebate, bringing the total price to 1900.00 with everything. Charger, microphone, warranty, cables, owners manuals, the whole lot.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Warranty

With a little luck, I am past my warranty period now and have had no problems. So I did OK there.

And as for the price, that was total with shipping (overnight) and extra 2 hr battery. So, again not too bad.

But performance wise, what do I have that is different than what you have? And why is this thing NTSC?

tt
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #4

Because Japan is NTSC.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #5
New Boot

Sunset

Well, here is a few seconds of 1080i footage with an A1J

https://home.comcast.net/~BlindRI/images/sunset.wmv

That was taken in my back yard. I walked outside and had to record some of the sky and didn't have very long before the light changed to set anything up or make any adjustments.

My appoligies if this link doesn't work, had a lot of trouble uploading tonight.

tt
Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Aloha Terry,
what exactly came with the camera (was it in a sealed box with charger,manual etc...)?

Best,
wz.
Wayne Zebzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM   #7
New Boot

That's good-looking footage, Terry.
Scott Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Japan charger will also work in the US just fine. I have an A1J. I now live in New York.

The only differences between the A1J and the A1U are: the possibility of selecting Japanese menus, and that black level when using DV is set at the Japanese standard, 0 IRE instead of the US standard, 7.5 IRE.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ah, see, that's what I was afraid of, the clouds look Japanese in that footage. I'm just kidding, it looks great, I'm sure it's fine.
Bill McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #10
New Boot

Boxed Items in A1J

Wayne, sorry for the late reply, went on the loose 20 pounds in one week diet, fortunately antibiotics are now kicking in.

The items in the box were the same as page nine of the manual for the A1U.

16 Mb Memory stick
Duo Adapter
Ac Adapter US
Lens hood
Remote
AV RCA S-video cable
Component Video cable
USB cable
XLR & Mic
NP-FM50 battery
Manual

BTW, they are only considered to be Japanese Clouds if it is the rising sun, this was the setting sun which proves they are in the West.
Terry Teter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series