DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   A1U Free Sony Warranty Extension (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/75985-a1u-free-sony-warranty-extension.html)

Konrad Haskins September 21st, 2006 07:12 PM

A1U Free Sony Warranty Extension

Got my new baby today. Filled out the rebate paperwork, $1800 after rebate. Went to http://www.sony.com/hdv clicked on register product and found I get a free extra 6 months on my warranty :) Is there a Sony brand extended warranty?

Konrad

John Dewey September 23rd, 2006 05:40 PM

Thanks for the tip! I just registered my A1U and got the 6 month warranty extension as well. I had originally put off registering my camera until I read this. Thanks for the reminder and good news!

-John

Bob Bitteroot October 5th, 2006 06:27 PM

A1U Rebate?

Hi all. Has anyone had any problems/issues receiving their rebate check from Sony for the A1U? I bought my A1U way back in July, sent in all my rebate paperwork right away, received an email on July 24 saying my paperwork was accepted and everything was valid and to wait 8-10 weeks for "processing." Why in heaven above it takes that long to "process" is beyond me. But that's another story.

Well, I've waited the requisite 10 weeks and no check. No emails either with any updates or anything. Does Sony think I'm just going to forget about 500 bucks they owe me? I don't think so...

Any info is helpful. Thanks!

Alex Thames October 5th, 2006 09:35 PM

You sure you didn't throw it away? It looks like junk mail, the shape, size, and design.

Larry Price October 5th, 2006 09:54 PM

Did I ever have an issue!

Unfortunately, there's not a thing I can do about it. I just received my A1U yesterday, bought just before the rebate deadline. When I went to Sony's web site to fill out the form, I discovered that lo and behold, the rebate was limited to the CONTINENTAL U.S. only! Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories are explicitly excluded! Of course, you never see any indication of this until AFTER you attempt to fill out the online form. My decision to go ahead and get this camera was heavily influenced by this rebate program. Had I known that the rebate wasn't available to me here in Hawaii, I might not have bought the camera. At least, I probably would have waited a while longer, rather than rushing to beat the deadline.

I love Sony. I have a house full of Sony products from home theater equipment to phones to computer parts. I've been very pleased with every Sony product I've ever owned. I'll no doubt be very pleased with my new camera too, but this rebate deal has left a very sour taste in my mouth! I'll almost certainly buy more Sony products in the future, but I'll probably look a bit more intently at their competitors products before buying from now on.

Aloha,

LVP

John Dewey October 6th, 2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bitteroot
Hi all. Has anyone had any problems/issues receiving their rebate check from Sony for the A1U? I bought my A1U way back in July, sent in all my rebate paperwork right away, received an email on July 24 saying my paperwork was accepted and everything was valid and to wait 8-10 weeks for "processing." Why in heaven above it takes that long to "process" is beyond me. But that's another story.

Well, I've waited the requisite 10 weeks and no check. No emails either with any updates or anything. Does Sony think I'm just going to forget about 500 bucks they owe me? I don't think so...

Any info is helpful. Thanks!

I have just hit the 8 week point since I mailed in my A1U rebate and still have not received mine yet either. You can track your rebate status online through a link originally provided to you in the email that Sony sent you. I just called the sony rebate hotline number: (866) 881-1114 to find out if mine had been mailed out yet and they told mine is scheduled to go out within the next 3 days. I would call this number and find out if and when yours was mailed. I was actually able to speak to a live person and not a machine and got my answer immediately. Hope this helps.

-John

Bob Bitteroot October 6th, 2006 09:16 PM

Well, maybe it's on the way...

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dewey
I have just hit the 8 week point since I mailed in my A1U rebate and still have not received mine yet either. You can track your rebate status online through a link originally provided to you in the email that Sony sent you. I just called the sony rebate hotline number: (866) 881-1114 to find out if mine had been mailed out yet and they told mine is scheduled to go out within the next 3 days. I would call this number and find out if and when yours was mailed. I was actually able to speak to a live person and not a machine and got my answer immediately. Hope this helps.

-John

Thanks John. I called Sony today and they said mine was scheduled to go out within a week. Fairly ironic, right when we both call they say they are being sent out soon. Hmmm...sounds susupcious to me. As you can tell, I'm a bit jaded regarding rebates since I've had problems with other companies in the past. I won't believe it until I actually see it in the mail.

Apparently we are supposed to be looking for a tiny little piece of paper that looks like junk mail, from what others have said. Keep your eyes open!

Vish Matepi October 7th, 2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Price
Unfortunately, there's not a thing I can do about it. I just received my A1U yesterday, bought just before the rebate deadline. When I went to Sony's web site to fill out the form, I discovered that lo and behold, the rebate was limited to the CONTINENTAL U.S. only! Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories are explicitly excluded! Of course, you never see any indication of this until AFTER you attempt to fill out the online form. My decision to go ahead and get this camera was heavily influenced by this rebate program. Had I known that the rebate wasn't available to me here in Hawaii, I might not have bought the camera. At least, I probably would have waited a while longer, rather than rushing to beat the deadline.

I love Sony. I have a house full of Sony products from home theater equipment to phones to computer parts. I've been very pleased with every Sony product I've ever owned. I'll no doubt be very pleased with my new camera too, but this rebate deal has left a very sour taste in my mouth! I'll almost certainly buy more Sony products in the future, but I'll probably look a bit more intently at their competitors products before buying from now on.

Aloha,

LVP

i live in hawaii also, i got my rebate check no worries.. You just have to fill out the Address with a mainland address.. then get that person to send the check to you.

Larry Price October 7th, 2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vish Matepi
i live in hawaii also, i got my rebate check no worries.. You just have to fill out the Address with a mainland address.. then get that person to send the check to you.

First, I don't have anyone on the mainland to do that for me. Second, Sony wants a copy of the sales invoice as part of the proof-of-purchase documentation which, in my case, clearly shows a Hawaii billing and shipping address.

What I'd like to know is why Hawaii was excluded from the program in the first place. The only explanation on Sony's web site says "we are unable to mail checks and premiums outside of the continental United States." Why the bloody hell not? The U.S. Postal Service delivers mail here the same as anywhere else in the U.S., and for the same postage rates. All of the major parcel services operate here too, with UPS usually being the cheapest. I'd really love to hear an explanation from Sony. I sent them an e-mail about it, but I doubt I'll hear anything back. I didn't even get an automated response acknowledging that I'd sent them anything.

Oh well. Back to learning how to use my new toy! I know I'm going to be very pleased with it even though it cost me $500 more than it did everyone else. Heh...it's only money...

Aloha,

LVP

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 7th, 2006 10:13 PM

Sony Hawaii is not part of Sony USA. They are their own separate territory. The easy explanation is that most military purchases for the US Military go thru Hawaii now, and therefore it's prudent for the islands/Pacific Rim to be their own territory.
Visit Papa Hui at VideoLife. He might be able to help you out.

Larry Price October 8th, 2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Sony Hawaii is not part of Sony USA. They are their own separate territory. The easy explanation is that most military purchases for the US Military go thru Hawaii now, and therefore it's prudent for the islands/Pacific Rim to be their own territory.
Visit Papa Hui at VideoLife. He might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the tip Douglas! I don't know Papa Hui, but I've been to VideoLife many times to drool over the toys...er, admire the production equipment. I'll stop by the next time I'm downtown.

Tommy Haupfear October 8th, 2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Bob, I'm in the same boat! The website has said the same "Received, Submission is being processed" since July 14th. I've called several times and I've been reassured and apologized too but still no $500 check.

Oddly enough I've since completed two of their freebie rebates for marketing materials and received both in just two weeks.

Here is to hoping we get our rebates sooner rather than later!

Bob Bitteroot October 23rd, 2006 11:11 PM

Holy moly I actually got my A1U rebate check!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Haupfear
Bob, I'm in the same boat! The website has said the same "Received, Submission is being processed" since July 14th. I've called several times and I've been reassured and apologized too but still no $500 check.

Oddly enough I've since completed two of their freebie rebates for marketing materials and received both in just two weeks.

Here is to hoping we get our rebates sooner rather than later!

I never thought it would actually happen, but after calling three times the last few weeks I opened my mailbox today and out popped my long awaited $500 rebate check for my A1U. Amazing! Only took them about 13 weeks! Whatever happened to 8-10? Oh well, I finally have it in my hands so I can't complain too much anymore. Anyone else have theirs yet?

Tommy Haupfear October 24th, 2006 05:54 AM

My mailbox also had my $500 rebate check from Sony! :)

I guess we'll never know the real reason for ridiculously long delay but it will definitely be a deciding factor on my next cam.

John Dewey October 24th, 2006 07:40 AM

I received my rebate check in yesterdays mail. The wait is finally over!