DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Telephoto Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/76143-telephoto-lens.html)

John Dombrowski September 24th, 2006 06:58 PM

Telephoto Lens

There has been a lot of good talk on the forum about the Sony WA lens but is anyone using a telephoto? Which one are people using? The sony brand or others?

James Harring October 1st, 2006 06:45 PM

Telephoto VCL-HG2037Y

I just got back from a trip to the mountains and used the above lens.
I liked it fine... be aware you cannot zoom out all the way, as it looks like a "periscope" view (like you see on submarine movies) at wide.
Also is heavy... but I was able to shoot elk at very low light (dusk) - 200m away. Granted it was not Nat'l Geo quality, but I could not get any pics with any digital camera - too dark. I was quite impressed I was able to get anything at all, as all I could see with my naked eye was tan bodies moving. I saw the bull elk's antlers and dark mane clearly w/ this lens.

Also can get very tight shots of mountain tops. I was afraid when I left I didn't "have enough zoom," but it appeared this was sufficient for my needs (amateur).

A stable platform is critical - I stopped extending the "skinny" legs on my tripod, as the (substantial) wind would cause too much camera shake. Also turn off image stabilizer for clearer shot.

Michael Y Wong October 4th, 2006 12:39 AM

Another VCL-HG2037Y

-Good PQ
-i use it to limit DOF provided you shoot far away and zoom in
-use a stable tripod with a SMOOTH HEAD otherwise youlll be sure to notice the shakes
-it vignettes if you zoom all the way out!

James, do you ever use a Lens hood with the Tele lens? I'm considering a Cavision LH80, but i am unsure if it will fit on the Sony Tele Lens, if it does i'd be the step down ring and thus would be able to use the Lens hood on my Sony WA lens too.

Hans_den_Hertog October 4th, 2006 11:45 AM

Results with the Sony HG-2037 2 x teleconverter

I am very satisfied with the Sony HG-2037 2 x teleconverter. I bought it together with the WA (HG-0737).
The teleconverter came with a very convenient rubber hood, which fits the converter quite well.
For results look at http://www.dewonderbron.nl/Hc_1_1.html.

Hans den Hertog

James Harring October 8th, 2006 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong
-Good PQ
James, do you ever use a Lens hood with the Tele lens? I'm considering a Cavision LH80, but i am unsure if it will fit on the Sony Tele Lens, if it does i'd be the step down ring and thus would be able to use the Lens hood on my Sony WA lens too.

I bought the Cavision LH77 for the wideangle. I sometimes just used the ring part of it so I could mount the polarizer, skipping the hood. I will say, I was always worried about the thing coming loose and breaking my $120 polarizer on a rock. (never did) Didn't have that much confidence in how securely it attaches. A bit of duct tape greatly increased my confidence though.

I use the included Sony lenshood for the tele extensively. I didn't have occasion to require a polarizer, etc using this lens, though it would be nice to have this option. Again, duct tape helps here too.

I will e-mail cavision direct as to compatibility, they're very helpful. Will post their reply.

Michael Y Wong October 9th, 2006 09:31 PM

Re:

^^

Thank you very much Peter!

James Harring October 10th, 2006 05:45 PM

Reply from CAVision

According to the specifications the VCL-HG2037Y has an 81mm front diameter. Our LH80 lens hood will not fit on it because it has a solid circular back mount of 80mm diameter.

Regards,
Bernie Koth-Kappus
Cavision Enterprises Ltd.

Hmm, if I get the pocketknife out an do a little scraping.... <g> --Jim

Michael Y Wong October 10th, 2006 10:57 PM

Thank you Jim (I have NO IDEA why i called you peter in the other post)!

IF you ask me tho the Sony Tele Lens has a 79-80 mm diamter when I meassure with different rulers/tapes... i think I will get the 80 and scrape if needed!