HC3 vcr mode/capture problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

HC3 vcr mode/capture problems

A brief history I have had my HC3 for 12 days and I have been using Vegas 6 to capture but I never got the preview screen to work through Vegas . I would have to use my lcd on the HC3. Also I could never find the the button to turn off scene detection and every clip I would record would be be in multiple clips.

So yesterday I captured a clip and it was in about 18 segments. So I tried going through all the preferences and could not find anything about split scene detection. I messed with a few settings but nothing helped and I put them back. So now I when I capture a clip when the firewire is plugged in my lcd on my hc3 is blue and the the time code is skipping up to 5 seconds at a time and I get a picture for a split second every one in a while. It does not with the name I tell it to but now says temp capture.

Now the kicker I messed with this for about 2 hours last night with the same time studder even after I unplug it from the firewire with the picture coming on and off. So then I plug it into my tv through HDMI and then it is fine it plays back normal. Then I plug it into the fire wire and it tweaks out again.

So is there a setting I need to have vegas that I dont?
Any help would be great Im frustrated.

Joey
Joey Atilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Major Player

>>I never got the preview screen to work through Vegas
Maybe more PC related than Vegas/HC3.
Make sure your video card is using the overlay channel. If you have an integrated (into the motherboard) videocard that shares memory with the PC, likely won't work.

>>not find anything about split scene detection
SOunds like you are capturing in standard (480) mode since vegas 6 does not do scene detect with HDV. Is this by intent?

If you have AVI files, you have SDV. If you have .m2t files, you have HDV.
Use Windows Media Player 6.4 (opensource) to play one of these files.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/...r_classic.html

If you are doing SD capture try this again using www.scenalyzer.com - use the trial version as a test (I love this app, wish there were an HD version)
If you are doing a HD capture, try again using HDVSplit
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Pls try and advise. Also likely need info about your PC. RAM, CPU, etc.

Ths is premature, but I want from Vegas 6.0 to 7.0b and it is well worth the upgrade.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks

I un-installed Vegas 6 and re installed it which helped but I still cant get a preview through V6 but I can capture again but I still am getting a drop out on video when I capture. Last night on 9 minutes of video I had 38 times where I lost 1/2 a second of video. I guess maybe it is my computer. I have P3 3ghz , 1 gig of ram, 1 250gb HD with all my programs and another 400gb HD where I store my media.

It is weird I can print to hdv tape fine and I can edit fine and watch on TV fine but Capture is causing me serious problems.

Computer question If while capturing my processer is at 95-100% and ram is at 500-700mb would another gig of ram even help ? Do I just need to get another computer?
Joey Atilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Try using HDV Split to capture.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Major Player

More RAM?

I have 2 gb ram.
However, I would suspect you check out what processes are running on the pc before throwing money at it. I will also reiterate use HDVSplit to help isolatethe issue.

FYI my NLE machine (affectionatly named: Vidiot) is a dedicated machine. I don't gum it up with any non NLE software, nor surf the web with it.

A cheap way to do this is to partition your hard drive and install XP twice, once on the general purpose partition and the other on the NLE. A lot of work and some expertise is needed though.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Problems still

Well I tried HDVsplit and it didnt work right away but neither did Vegas 6. Then I un installed everything and HDVsplit worked and so did Vegas6. Then the next time neither work and again and has not worked since. I want to sledge hammer everything. Here is the error code I get in vegas.

Sony.Capture.CaptureException: A failure occurred in Capture. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
at Sony.MediaSoftware.ExternalVideoDevice.ICaptureController.StopCapture(StopCaptureFlags flags)
at Sony.MediaSoftware.ExternalVideoDevice.CaptureController.StopCapture(StopCaptureFlags flags)
at Sony.Capture.Capture.StopCapture(Object sender, StopCaptureFlags flags)
at Sony.Capture.Capture.HandleStopCapture(Object sender, EventArgs args)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I also just found this error
the video buffer has overflow problem, when it is receiving 49th frame
Which I think came from Vegas 7 trial version

My system is a pentium 4 3.0ghz ,1 gig of ram , 250GB HD + 400GB HD . I dont know cpu usage while capturing because I cant get it to capture.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by Joey Atilano; October 15th, 2006 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added cpu info
Joey Atilano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series