DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HC1 no longer listed at B&H (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/77417-hc1-no-longer-listed-b-h.html)

John McManimie October 13th, 2006 01:41 PM

HC1 no longer listed at B&H

I was browsing B&H and could no longer find the HDR-HC1 listed. Maybe it is finally gone from their inventory (and is now officially a collector's item).

Mauritius Seeger October 30th, 2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McManimie
I was browsing B&H and could no longer find the HDR-HC1 listed. Maybe it is finally gone from their inventory (and is now officially a collector's item).

you are kidding? i just bought one! what is replacing it. man things move fast.

Jeff DeMaagd November 1st, 2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauritius Seeger
you are kidding? i just bought one! what is replacing it. man things move fast.

Sony probably thinks that the HC3 replaced it. I'm surprised it took this long for the HC1 to run out. HC3 owners do say that the video is better, but the audio situation is more complicated.

Paulo Teixeira November 1st, 2006 10:53 PM

Even though a lot of people including Sony representatives may tell you that the HC3 is a true replacement to the HC1, I and many others don’t consider it as such because of all of the manual features that is missing.

TRV950 replaced the TRV900, HC1000 replaced the TRV950 and the HC1 replaced the HC1000. All of the camcorder has similar manual features. It would not seem right at all to consider the HC3 as a replacement to the HC1 even if the picture is arguably better just like the A1u has a picture that is arguably worse than the HC3.

I hope Sony releases a true replacement soon.

Stu Holmes November 1st, 2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
I hope Sony releases a true replacement soon.

Rumours are that an HC3 replacement is on the way. Whether it's more of an updated HC3 with similar size and form factor (and i would THINK that it would have a MIC IN jack for one thing to be consistent with UX1 and SR1..) or whether its a more 'proper' replacement for HC1 with a similar size/form factor and features to HC1 i don't know. But it seems that something is in the pipeline on that.

Rumor i read on another site says that HC3 is about to be discontinued (that information comes from a dealer selling HC3's) but i guess, like the HC1, units of that model will continue to be available as unsold stock.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 1st, 2006 11:46 PM

Guys, we're skirting awfully close to the line of the thread splitting off into the "Area 51" forum.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no replacement in immediate plan for the HC3. I reserve the right to be absolutely incorrect.

Mikko Lopponen November 3rd, 2006 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
arguably better just like the A1u has a picture that is arguably worse than the HC3.

I don't think so. HC1 looks better in every good light shoots. In low light hc3 is a bit better but not enough.

Frank Howard November 3rd, 2006 04:28 PM

Hey Douglas

Are you going to the Digital Video Expo? If so, I would love to suck your brain dry with questions... er... I mean chat with you.

Peter Ferling November 4th, 2006 06:33 PM

HC1 is a good camera for the money. The FX1 or V1U are, to me anyway, the logical step in evolution to the HC1. I personally think that Sony pulled the HC1 because it didn't quite fit the bill for both pro and consumer camps. If you want balanced audio and a few more controls, the A1U is the solution. If you want to point and shoot and just play, then the direct to disk HVR's are the ticket, as even the HC3 wasn't the complete answer either.

Still, I like the HC1 as it's given me a chance to sample HDV on cheap admission. When, and if I upgrade to the V1U, I may just keep this as a b-roll or third cam.