A1 good enough for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 good enough for weddings

Has anyone use the A1 for weddings. I'm thinking of purchasing another cam to go along with my Sony FX1. Are the low lights comparable to the FX1?

Anyone with experience with both cameras or equivalent please chime in. My wallet is itching.

TIA,
Ray
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Major Player

No, the FX1 low light capabilites are much better.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have two FX1s and an HC1. The latter is useful for backup shots in decent lighting, but in poor lighting the image deteriorates much more than the FX1.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Major Player

If outside in well lit environemnts definately yes, the quality of the image is indeed good looking enough to impress wedding clients. Indoors if well let the camera is still useable but in the terribely underlit receptions (and some ceremonies) then definately not, the image becomes just too muddy. I'm going to post up a sample later tonight of a wedding highlight reel shot with my HC1 (approximately the same low light capabilities of A1U).
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Wrangler

Ray,

I've owned the FX1 and currently the A1U (also for sale in classifieds) and the low light performance is very noticeable between the two in dim lighting. I would agree with other that outside footage is great but otherwise a dim ceremony or reception could get messy, or dark as it were.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Two Z1s and an A1: the A1 is significantly worse in low light - almost unusable. 7 lux, compared to 3 lux, according to Sony's spec, and the Z1 footage can be pushed much more in camera and in post, and still look reasonable.

Oh, for an HDV camera with the PD-170's performance (1 lux)!
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Major Player

I do know people that use them for weddings.

This guy uses the HC1 variant to shoot weddings, check out the clips:
http://jcdv.com/demos.htm
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd

Yes I know of his work. However you should note that ne also uses on camera lighting. You can tell from some of his clips, like the highlight reel where at the end the door closes and you can see the on camera lights hot spot on the door.

Again, these cmaeras are great when there is available light, like supplemental lighting or on camera lighting, but, if there is none then the color values drop off subatantially in a dimly lit ballroom.
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Major Player

I've been looking for the right light to use on my A1U for weddings. I have the Sony HVL-20DMA on my wish list. Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

light panel
Tom Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd

Hey Jeff, Mike and Ray! Just wanted to chime in here for a sec. Jeff, thanks for suggesting my demos! Mike, you're right, you do need a light on these and there are hotspots that develops... Ray, these cameras can do very good for weddings with light, early this year I had to replace my cameras all at once so I opted for the HC1.... my clients don't notice hotspots and such, and not once had a negative comment on picture quality on any of their movies... does this mean that is acceptable? That is subjective based on the viewer. Atleast it looks much better than our local news channels! I'm not kidding either.

I have seen people use the HC1/A1 NOT to their full potential because of one reason or another and just chock it up to being "inferior"... ah well, whatever. They do and can make good cams for use in weddings as long as you don't rely on "auto" mode.

I suggest getting a V1 or Z1 to use as the main cam and the A1/HC1 as backups provided you can use them properly. I may be selling one this year (I have 3) and getting a V1 or Z1... haven't decided yet on which.

Hope this helps some.
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger
Hey Jeff, Mike and Ray! Just wanted to chime in here for a sec. Jeff, thanks for suggesting my demos! Mike, you're right, you do need a light on these and there are hotspots that develops... Ray, these cameras can do very good for weddings with light, early this year I had to replace my cameras all at once so I opted for the HC1.... my clients don't notice hotspots and such, and not once had a negative comment on picture quality on any of their movies... does this mean that is acceptable? That is subjective based on the viewer. Atleast it looks much better than our local news channels! I'm not kidding either.

I have seen people use the HC1/A1 NOT to their full potential because of one reason or another and just chock it up to being "inferior"... ah well, whatever. They do and can make good cams for use in weddings as long as you don't rely on "auto" mode.

I suggest getting a V1 or Z1 to use as the main cam and the A1/HC1 as backups provided you can use them properly. I may be selling one this year (I have 3) and getting a V1 or Z1... haven't decided yet on which.

Hope this helps some.
BTW Jerome, sorry that I failed to mention that I thought that your demos looked great.
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM   #13
Major Player

A Wedding Highlight Reel shot entirely with the HC1, you can judge the quality for yourself in comparision to 3 chip cameras.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=81781

Please ignore my first post regarding download instructions see post#6 for simple instructions.
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
BTW Jerome, sorry that I failed to mention that I thought that your demos looked great.
No problem, but thanks. IMO, if I had a better main camera, my demos could look Excellent---atleast much better.
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM   #15
New Boot

I agree with everyone else regarding the HC1. I use the camera as a backup to my FX1, and the image is excellent for daylight ceremonies or very well-lit rooms. But in a dimly-lit church or reception hall, it is almost worthless without an on-camera light. (With the identical conditions, I get great footage in full manual with the FX1.)

With a light in these dimly-lit situations, the HC1 footage is great.

I got a deal on a clearance HC1 ($1,250.00), but for the cost of the A1U, I would spend a little extra and get another FX1. They're right around $3k right now with the recent releases of the FX7 and V1U.

Hope this helps!
Christopher Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series