Any indie film examples with A1u? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Trustee

Any indie film examples with A1u?

I am thinking of purchasing the a1u and want to look at some indie film examples. Does anyone have any to show or know a url of some?

Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM   #2
Major Player

I wish, I'm also interested in picking this up for some shorts until the summer where I hope to move to an XHA1 or V1 at that time. Anyone who could help would be great.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I've shot 2 student films (@ Ryerson) with my HC1 in 2006 (acting as camera op/DP), will give word once the films are up. One was a doc. Since I wasn't the editor I don't have either movie on my computer, but I may have some footage stashed away somewhere.

I would say with the HC1/A1U if u know how to compose well, shoot/edit well, understand lighting and know how to take advantage of the (relatively) large 1/3" sensor + telephoto lens (acheive very decent DOF control provided you shoot in large enough areas), fully ultilize post production 60i-24P conversion, I can't see why you can't shoot an indie film witht this camera. Of course it'll look like video-ish, but so does the FX1 or any other lower end camcorder shooting in 60i.

If you have the budget, you can always go with HC1/A1U + 35mm lens adapter + clean 60i->24p conversion, which would in theory give excellent 'digital film' results.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

60i to 24p workflow

I am about to start editing a indie doc. .... can someone describe a basic workflow for the 60i to 24p conversion. I likely I'll be using the Nattress product.

HVR-A1 in HDV 60i captured to a Mac Pro, with FCP 5.1 NLE. I'd like the final product in 24p; standard-def DVD.

Thank you.
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Major Player

I would edit everything in 60i until I get a locked picture, export as a self contained movie, then do the nattress conversion.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you ever go into NYC, Duart screens filmouts from a number of cameras including the A1U every Thursday, so you could see for yourself and ask questions.
They are very helpful with advice as well.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you

Wow... literally just returned from a Manhattan trip, but missed your post. Next time I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series