AIS (Active Interface Shoe) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 28th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1
New Boot

AIS (Active Interface Shoe)

Anyone have schematic or pinout information on Sony 183064611 and/or Active Interface Shoe? I'm trying to build an Active Interface Shoe plug with a simple stereo input jack so I can use the camera with an external mike.

I've bought a part from Sony called an Encapsulated Cable which is basically a AIS plug with 7 wires coming off of it--pink and purple are twisted together, as are the black and white wires. The remaining three are grey, yellow, and blue.

Can anyone help me decide which ones are left and right? Thanks! You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...ero_input.html

Thanks!
Bob McInnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Why not just convert the AIS shoe into a standard shoe and use a normal mic, then plug the mic into the mic input on the camera (under the memory stick slot)?

Here's how to convert the shoe: http://www.jcdv.com/shoeadapter.htm
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger
Why not just convert the AIS shoe into a standard shoe and use a normal mic, then plug the mic into the mic input on the camera (under the memory stick slot)?

Here's how to convert the shoe: http://www.jcdv.com/shoeadapter.htm
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have a Sony dcr-hc42, which has no mic input (can you believe that?) but does have an Active Interface Shoe. There were discussions elsewhere in this group about AIS, so I thought I'd ask the quesiton here.

Really, I just want to clip a mike onto my lapel, and Sony only makes one AIS with a wireless lapel mike and I hear they don't look or sound very goold.

Any guesses what might hapen if I just attach the pair of twisted pairs to the L and R side of the mike and try it? Might that be why they're twisted together, to signify the two pairs for stereo? Thanks.
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McInnis
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have a Sony dcr-hc42, which has no mic input (can you believe that?) but does have an Active Interface Shoe. There were discussions elsewhere in this group about AIS, so I thought I'd ask the quesiton here.

Really, I just want to clip a mike onto my lapel, and Sony only makes one AIS with a wireless lapel mike and I hear they don't look or sound very goold.

Any guesses what might hapen if I just attach the pair of twisted pairs to the L and R side of the mike and try it? Might that be why they're twisted together, to signify the two pairs for stereo? Thanks.
Oh... I wouldn't just go hooking up wires, I'd be afraid of frying something.
I did a little research for you, check these links out:
http://www.fxsupport.de/08.html

and http://www.codycurtin.com/HC3.htm (look at the 5th pic, looks like he traced the audio to come out on those pins)

I have a ECM-HGZ1 mic and haven't used the darn thing except twice if you want to buy it and hack it. I'll let it go cheap.
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Jerome,

I checked out that 5th picture and it seems there's a plug on the end that would help show which wires those two are. Mine has just loose wires coming out of it. Is there a way to tell which correspond to which? Thanks for the help!

Bob
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Jerome,

I checked out that 5th picture and it seems there's a plug on the end that would help show which wires those two are. Mine has just loose wires coming out of it. Is there a way to tell which correspond to which? Thanks for the help!

Bob
Take a voltmeter and test for continuity between the loose wire and the pin. Do this for each one and you'll know which pin goes to which wire. Make sure you orient the plug with the one in the picture and you'll then find the appropriate wires. Good luck.
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #7
New Boot

FYI, here's my original pictures of the AIS plug I'm working with:

Bob
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
FYI, here's my original pictures of the AIS plug I'm working with:

Bob
page not found. But I think I saw it. It was on the very bottom wasn't it?
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #9
New Boot

Jerome,

I was confused, but now I get it. The connector at the end of the wires on Pic 5 is the same connector on the end of my wires. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

So, if I can ask one more dumb question: If I were just going to cut the end off of a long lapel mike lead (or a mini jack), I'd just attach the two wires from the lead to the two wires at 9 and 10? Is that right?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger
page not found. But I think I saw it. It was on the very bottom wasn't it?
Yes, that was it. I just edited the link to fix it, but it was the same one at the bottom. Thanks again!
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Jerome,
So, if I can ask one more dumb question: If I were just going to cut the end off of a long lapel mike lead (or a mini jack), I'd just attach the two wires from the lead to the two wires at 9 and 10? Is that right?

Thanks so much for your help!
Yes and no. You'll then need to determine the + & - of the mic. Chances are it is a mono mic so the two leads off the mic will be + and -. Normally, black will be the ground (-) off the mic.

You'll need to read into that thread more and determine which is the gound for the pinout. IF you mic is mono, then just put the hot wire on each 9 & 10 and it will basically put the signal on both channels... kind of "fake stereo" I guess.

This is all in theory and remember, anything you do to modify your camera in any way can void the warranty and I can't be held responsible.... BUT, this is what I would be doing if I were to attempt this.
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. You've been really helpful!

Bob
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Tourist

Bob -
How did that work out for you?
Dick.
Dick Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #14
New Boot

Dick,

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I'll post something here when I do.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Bob,

You might want to check the camera hacker post again. I've posted some information that might be useful.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series