Need help choosing camera!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Need help choosing camera!!!!

For half a year i have been lurking at lots of forums to find the perfect camcorder for me. So far i have this: Canon HV10 (video quality), Sony HDR-HC5, or HC7. and of course Sony SR1. But what is best for my needs, they are the following:

-good video quality
-good audio quality
-very good night shot quality
-and overall value.
-and easy to edit compression formats

my budget is around $1000 up to $2500
Tony Corkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2

Some considerations:
~Canon HV10 can't manage high vibration shots, but if you're not shooting in these somewhat weird circumstances, it's not a problem. The video is excellent when shot from a stable position.
~AVC HD cannot be edited at this time, unless you're willing to jump through a lot of hoops. This will change in the near future, of course.
~HC5/HC7 are not available today, but will be soon. Light capability on these cams is staggering by comparison. I've spent about 3 hours so far with the HC7.

So, if you need to buy for shooting right now, editing right now, I'd say the HV10, so long as you're not shooting from any high vibration object or space. ATVs, motorcycles, and skydiving have been tested, and this camera fails. Tripod mounts and normal handholding, it rocks.
If you can wait a month, the HC5/7 are wonderful values.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #3
New Boot

Im probably going for the HDR-SR1, although there has yet to come a software update for final cut pro to be able to edit AVCHD. Or any editing program for that matter. Is the SR1 a smart buy? Or is Sony producing new AVCHD camcorders.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

The HV10 can't handle shots that the HC7 can?
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Based on those camcorders I’d wait and get the HC7 but if you have some extra spare cash then you might want the JVC Everio GZ-HD7 since it will have much more manual features such as a focusing ring around the lens. The JVC has a 60 gig hard drive compared to the 30 gig of the SR1 by the way.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #6

David, I don't know if the HC7 can manage ATV/skydiving yet. I have one available, and was supposed to jump it yesterday, but snow hit Mesquite, where we were scheduled to jump. Now we're under nearly 3 feet of snow, so will have to wait for a week or two til I'm in Arizona. But on initial impact testing, the answer is "yes." The HC7 on bouncing and jostling by hand, does not shake. I've uploaded footage from the HV10 already, you're welcome to view it. I've uploaded footage from the HC3 as well, from the exact same scene, and it does not have the shakey issue related to the stabilizer.
there are at least a dozen shooters I've talked with on a public forum that have all expressed identical experiences.
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys this helped a lot :D. By the way, what camcorders have the "nightshot" or other nightvision style options for filming in the dark with little or no light. And does anybody know if the JVC Everio GZ-HD7 will be compatable with mac? And if the JVC Everio GZ-HD7s footage can be edited with Final Cut Pro.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Its true that sometimes OIS systems cannot cope with high-frequency vibrations whereas EIS systems are generally not affected in the same way.

Both HV10 and HC7 are OIS so i guess it depends on the setup and calibration etc of these systems as to how they cope with certain vibration frequencies.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Light capability on these cams is staggering by comparison. I've spent about 3 hours so far with the HC7.

If you can wait a month, the HC5/7 are wonderful values.
If you've also used the HV10, do you think the HC7 has an equal or better picture? Larger CMOS?

And is the lo-light capability superior?

Any idea of the price point?

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Spot,
I don't suppose you have some footage you can post taken with the HC7 ??? (pretty please...)

Dan
Dan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #11

LOL, the *only* footage I've shot with the HC7 (literally) is in my hotel room. Not much to look at. I will say that the low light capability is pretty darn good without getting into slower shutterspeeds.
I'm jumping it this week at the Grand Canyon, so that'll give me something to show.
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I'm jumping it this week at the Grand Canyon, so that'll give me something to show.

Can't wait. Keep us updated.

-Kris
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Tourist

Video from a Ski Boat

[QUOTE=Douglas Spotted Eagle]Some considerations:
~Canon HV10 can't manage high vibration shots, but if you're not shooting in these somewhat weird circumstances, it's not a problem. The video is excellent when shot from a stable position.

Could you comment if the vibration in a water ski boat would be a problem with the HV10? The boats we ride are inboard engine designs so the vibration is minimal IMO. I would say a bit more vibration than a car on the highway but not as much as riding on a dirt road. I'm really looking foward to using the HV10 as a training tool for our water ski club. Thanks for the comments. I've already learned so much from this group.
Dave
David Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #14

If the HV10 is mounted to the boat, I guarantee it can't manage it. If it's handheld, it should have no problems at all.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

None of those cams mentioned above are anywhere near $2500
except for perhaps the JVC Everio GZ-HD7
I just bought the HC5 for $900 from an authorized dealer
Sony 3 year extended warranty $100 more
Art Willig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series