DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   What does Blackmagic Design’s Intensity exactly do? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/84179-what-does-blackmagic-design-s-intensity-exactly-do.html)

David Delaney January 17th, 2007 08:41 PM

What does Blackmagic Design’s Intensity exactly do?

I was looking at the Blackmagic Design’s Intensity for my HC1, but I am still unsure of what it does? IS it like the Andromedia for the DVX? Do you need to use a laptop to capture images straight from the camera? Can it still go to tape?

Wes Vasher January 17th, 2007 09:06 PM

Won't work with HC1, requires a camcorder with HDMI port, and you need a desktop machine since it's a PCIe card. It is similar to andromeda but only gets 4:2:2 from the sensor pre-compression.

David Delaney January 17th, 2007 09:13 PM

Which camera have the HDMI port?

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 17th, 2007 11:23 PM

Sony V1, FX7, HC3, HC5, HC7, in the HDV lineup.

Thomas Smet January 17th, 2007 11:45 PM

You can use it with your HC1 but you will also have to buy a Component to HDMI converter which costs around another $250.00 I think. This still comes out to less then half the cost of a normal HD component capture card so you still are getting a good deal.

Thanasis Grigoropoulos January 18th, 2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
You can use it with your HC1 but you will also have to buy a Component to HDMI converter which costs around another $250.00 I think.

Gefen Component to HDMI adapter for around 180$. But I've (still) never heard of anyone using this setup yet...

Oh by the way! Does anyone know if the component out of the camcorders is YPbPr? Because this adapter works only with this type of signal...

David Delaney January 18th, 2007 06:33 AM

So right now the HC1 has 4:1:1 and with the black magic it is 4:2:2. I wonder how much of a difference I will be able to see and if it is worth the extra $500.00?

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 18th, 2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney
So right now the HC1 has 4:1:1 and with the black magic it is 4:2:2. I wonder how much of a difference I will be able to see and if it is worth the extra $500.00?

On capture? None. Using an uncompressed capture source won't put anything in the picture that isn't already there. BTW, the HC1 is 4:2:0, not 4:1:1 unless you're shooting DV mode, which I wouldn't do but you might.

Where the 4:2:2 uncompressed or lightly compressed image comes into benefit is when you're color correcting, re-compressing, and moving from app to app. It holds together better than does the highly compressed 4:2:0 MPEG image. If it's 10bit vs 8 bit, you can push the chroma harder as well.

Ron Chau January 18th, 2007 09:20 AM

I'm a little slow. Why do I need this card if I can capture via firewire ?

Wes Vasher January 18th, 2007 09:44 AM

Ron, the FireWire contains a compressed 4:2:0 MPEG2 stream, the card bypasses the compression stage by way of the HDMI port. Basically if you are doing green screen studio work then this card is for you because you'll have to be tethered to a desktop. There are other reasons to shoot this way of course as Douglas has stated but I think most people would probably use it for green screen work.