DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Shutter Speed - always greyed out? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/84379-shutter-speed-always-greyed-out.html)

David Delaney January 20th, 2007 12:20 PM

Shutter Speed - always greyed out?

I have auto-lock on OFF, but I am unable to adjust the shutter speed - it is greyed out and stays on AUTO on my HC1. After perusing the manual, I can't find the reason why I am unable to adjust the shutter speed. Any ideas how to get this to be a manual option?

Well, I figured it out -but it doesn't make any sense. I went to Prgram AE (which was on AUTO), turned it to SPOTLIGHT and then back to AUTO and the Shutter speed is no longer greyed out. Glitch?

Tom Hardwick January 20th, 2007 01:29 PM

Spotlight mode is always auto exposure, so you'd not have access to the shutter speeds in that case.

David Delaney January 20th, 2007 01:41 PM

I should have been more clear. It doesn't matter which I press in AE mode, the result is the same - be it beach, portrait, spotlight or anything else. I turn on the camera, I cannot adjust the SHUTTER SPEED (AE MODE IS IN AUTO). I go to AE mode, and pick any of the programs, and then click back on the AE auto and my shutter speed is now available. A glitch I am thinking.

Dan Gonzales January 21st, 2007 12:22 AM

Mine does that too. Must be a bug or something.

Daniel Apollon January 21st, 2007 03:04 AM

How to "ungrey" the shutter speed ....

Yes it is a bug. The solution is: activate the nightshot and deactivate it again (knob on the right side of the objective). It cures a lot of "greyed out" bugs on the HC1.

Victor Wilcox January 21st, 2007 09:33 AM

Same Bug in A1

Thanks for the tip. The same problem exists in my A1U.

David Delaney January 21st, 2007 10:54 AM

At least I am not the only one that has the problem. Thanks for that Nightshot tip.

Evan Dowling January 22nd, 2007 08:49 AM

I'm not sure if that nightshot tip is accurate. Turning the nightshot on and then back off will reset your AE Program mode back to auto. That's why the shutter control is no longer greyed out. The whole point of the AE Programs is to let the program control the shutter and exposure, etc.

Marco Wagner January 30th, 2007 03:09 PM

I had same issue, I just hit the small factory reset button.

Pete Schwab February 2nd, 2007 08:27 PM

i noticed i can't change the shutter speed if i have manual exposure enabled. So I temporarily disable manual exposure, set the shutter, then re enable manual exposure. a bit of a pain but hey, what can you do...

Guest September 18th, 2007 02:43 AM

This is really annoying me now, why can't you change the shutter speed when Nightshot is on?

This camera, I have to say, is terrible at exposing.

When I switch to 1/25 shutter speed, everything is still extremely dark - on my old Sony PC101, if I set to 1/25, it would be lighter than what my eyes would see, or at least that's what I remember.

But the main pain for me here is the fact that Nightshot greys out the shutter speed, it never did this on my Sony PC101, so why does it do it on this much better camera? 1/50 is too DARK, it needs to be 1/25

Mark Gervasoni October 29th, 2007 04:08 PM

Setting shutter on A1U

I just found a response to this today and posted on another thread. Just in case anyone missed it:

To switch to manual shutter, push the volume/exposure button in the middle bottom left of the camera to turn off manual exposure. That will un-gray the manual shutter setting. I put the shutter on the opening quick menu so I could get to it easily.

To confiirm that manual exposure is off, the small +- bar at the bottom left of the screen will go out that indicates the aperture setting (+ being open widest). After setting the shutter, then you an push the button again to get manual exposure.

I'd been doing the Nightshot trick since I rec'd my camera about 2 years ago. I finally feel like I have a professional camera.

Michael Jouravlev October 29th, 2007 06:28 PM

<pointless comment removed by author>

Cindy Konits December 9th, 2007 05:44 PM

Hey everyone,
I've read all your posts on struggling to get to manual shutter, and now I really feel like my A1U is playing terrible tricks on me... Manual shutter is not even greyed out... it is gone! There is no shutter adjustment option in the camera set menu at all. (the exposure/volume button is off).
Cindy

Cindy Konits December 9th, 2007 05:46 PM

also, does anyone know how to get shutter control on the main opening menu?
Cindy