Shutter Speed - always greyed out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Shutter Speed - always greyed out?

I have auto-lock on OFF, but I am unable to adjust the shutter speed - it is greyed out and stays on AUTO on my HC1. After perusing the manual, I can't find the reason why I am unable to adjust the shutter speed. Any ideas how to get this to be a manual option?

Well, I figured it out -but it doesn't make any sense. I went to Prgram AE (which was on AUTO), turned it to SPOTLIGHT and then back to AUTO and the Shutter speed is no longer greyed out. Glitch?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Spotlight mode is always auto exposure, so you'd not have access to the shutter speeds in that case.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Trustee

I should have been more clear. It doesn't matter which I press in AE mode, the result is the same - be it beach, portrait, spotlight or anything else. I turn on the camera, I cannot adjust the SHUTTER SPEED (AE MODE IS IN AUTO). I go to AE mode, and pick any of the programs, and then click back on the AE auto and my shutter speed is now available. A glitch I am thinking.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mine does that too. Must be a bug or something.
Dan Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How to "ungrey" the shutter speed ....

Yes it is a bug. The solution is: activate the nightshot and deactivate it again (knob on the right side of the objective). It cures a lot of "greyed out" bugs on the HC1.
Daniel Apollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Same Bug in A1

Thanks for the tip. The same problem exists in my A1U.
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Trustee

At least I am not the only one that has the problem. Thanks for that Nightshot tip.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm not sure if that nightshot tip is accurate. Turning the nightshot on and then back off will reset your AE Program mode back to auto. That's why the shutter control is no longer greyed out. The whole point of the AE Programs is to let the program control the shutter and exposure, etc.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Trustee

I had same issue, I just hit the small factory reset button.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #10
New Boot

i noticed i can't change the shutter speed if i have manual exposure enabled. So I temporarily disable manual exposure, set the shutter, then re enable manual exposure. a bit of a pain but hey, what can you do...
Pete Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #11

This is really annoying me now, why can't you change the shutter speed when Nightshot is on?

This camera, I have to say, is terrible at exposing.

When I switch to 1/25 shutter speed, everything is still extremely dark - on my old Sony PC101, if I set to 1/25, it would be lighter than what my eyes would see, or at least that's what I remember.

But the main pain for me here is the fact that Nightshot greys out the shutter speed, it never did this on my Sony PC101, so why does it do it on this much better camera? 1/50 is too DARK, it needs to be 1/25
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #12
New Boot

Setting shutter on A1U

I just found a response to this today and posted on another thread. Just in case anyone missed it:

To switch to manual shutter, push the volume/exposure button in the middle bottom left of the camera to turn off manual exposure. That will un-gray the manual shutter setting. I put the shutter on the opening quick menu so I could get to it easily.

To confiirm that manual exposure is off, the small +- bar at the bottom left of the screen will go out that indicates the aperture setting (+ being open widest). After setting the shutter, then you an push the button again to get manual exposure.

I'd been doing the Nightshot trick since I rec'd my camera about 2 years ago. I finally feel like I have a professional camera.
Mark Gervasoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #13
Major Player

<pointless comment removed by author>

Last edited by Michael Jouravlev; October 30th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey everyone,
I've read all your posts on struggling to get to manual shutter, and now I really feel like my A1U is playing terrible tricks on me... Manual shutter is not even greyed out... it is gone! There is no shutter adjustment option in the camera set menu at all. (the exposure/volume button is off).
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #15
Regular Crew

also, does anyone know how to get shutter control on the main opening menu?
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series