DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Second thoughts on the HC1...is it for me? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/85863-second-thoughts-hc1-me.html)

Art Willig February 6th, 2007 10:54 PM

Second thoughts on the HC1...is it for me?

I've been shooting a long time so I bought a HC1 but am having second thoughts on it. I shoot almost exclusively acrobats, jugglers, tumblers, and other high-action in the wonderful sunshine on my trusty tripod. I pan and zoom somewhat but usually just let the subject matter perform within the frame.

I want to use this cam or another to get some decent footage on a prosumer level. However, I seem to be stuck when it comes to 1980i vs 720p at a necessary 30fps.

My video ends up a crushed .wmv on the internet (320x240) so others may enjoy. However, one day I may want to put together a HD-DVD so I bought the HC1.

Maybe this isn't the cam for the job.
What do you think?
Thx

Graham Hickling February 6th, 2007 11:26 PM

It would be easier to provide an opinion for you if you explained what aspect of the camera's performance is making you doubtful.

Are you wishing you could shoot in 720p60?

Chris Barcellos February 6th, 2007 11:43 PM

Outdoors and full daylight, shooting at 60i should provide great video. It will not be first generation 720p, but as far as capturing action, you should be fine. If you want to pay 3x more, get the Canon A-1, or Sony V1, but for what your goals seem to be, seems like overkill... just my two cents,.

Art Willig February 6th, 2007 11:56 PM

I'm definitely needing efficiency not overkill. Just wondering if there wasn't actually something out there...even used...that would better suit my needs at the HD prosumer level.

The Canon HV20 is due out in April...I really like it's new profile and specs so far...

Thx

Chris Barcellos February 7th, 2007 01:28 AM

HV20 will be single CMOS just like the Sony. Only one benefit there is 24p, in my mind, if thats what you want. But for your purposes, 24p doesn't help, I don't think. In fact, for slow motion and such, I think you will want to stick with 60i. I don't think the HV20 has a 30p. But if you are looking for that filmic 24p, then you might be right.

Mikko Lopponen February 7th, 2007 03:12 AM

The problem with fast action and slowmotion is the infamous rolling shutter. You can work around it, but my next camera will definitely not be a cmos-camera with a rolling shutter as I do lots of slowmotions and action.

Though if you don't even move the camera and just keep it on a tripod then you most likely won't see any problems. Unless an acrobat falls very fast then they'll look quite thin :)

The hc1 is a great piece of hardware and you'd be hard pressed to find anything better in it's price category.

Paulo Teixeira February 7th, 2007 01:04 PM

The only camcorder that is better in many aspects is the JVC HD7 that is about to be out in April but it retails for 1700 dollars. The Sony HC7 and the Canon HV20 is nothing compared to the Sony HC1 or the JVC HD7 as far as features is concerned.

Art Willig February 9th, 2007 02:25 PM

My shoot doesn't really start until late spring so there's no rush.

The only other cam I'm looking at is the JVC GR-HD1U @ 720/30p
Comments?

Thx

Graham Hickling February 9th, 2007 09:11 PM

I have both the HD1U and the Sony HC1.

Although I love the progressive image, 30p is not what you want for fast-moving footage. The JVC also has limited manual exposure control, poor viewfinder and LCD resolution, and overdone edge sharpening that can't be turned off.

Art Willig February 10th, 2007 06:32 AM

So you think the HC1 is appropriate for my shoots?
Anything else that may fill the bill on a prosumer level?
Btw, my HC1 deal just fell through and I'm again free to buy another cam.
Thx

Art Willig February 11th, 2007 09:34 PM

Guess I'll havta settle for a second hand HC1 unless there's something better for my shoots in the prosumer range...

Chris Harris February 15th, 2007 07:05 PM

I'm not quite sure what features the HC1 has over the HC7, besides the fact that it has a zoom/focus ring, which I find extremely handy. If that's the only thing though, I might suggest that Art take a look at the HC7 or HV20, which seem to fit his needs. Also, take a look at footage from all these cameras, and take that into consideration as well.

Mikko Lopponen February 15th, 2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Uzun
The HC7 seems in all ways an improved HC1 to me, although I am quite possibly missing something here in regards to the HC1.

HC1 looks sexier, bigger and has a focus ring which I like.

Art Willig February 15th, 2007 08:44 PM

I noticed they've moved the release of the Canon HV20 up from April to March.
Between the new Canon HV20 and a used Sony HC1 I guess.
I've a shoot in May and this is cutting it too close for comfort.
Have to get the extended warranty, too.

Paulo Teixeira February 17th, 2007 05:54 PM

I’m not all to familiar with the manual features of the HC7 but the reason I said the HC1 is better as far as features is concerned is because of the focusing ring. That’s why I recommend the HD7 although if you do want a strictly consumer camcorder than the HV20 and the HC7 would be fine.