DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   sony hdv lowlight hierarchy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/85930-sony-hdv-lowlight-hierarchy.html)

Dave Lammey February 7th, 2007 06:43 PM

sony hdv lowlight hierarchy

Based on the information released so far, am I right in assessing the sony HDV cam lowlight hierarchy (at 1/60 shutter speed and 18db gain) as follows:

FX1/Z1 - 3 lux
FX7/V1 - 4 lux
HC5/HC7 - 4 lux
HC3 - 5 lux
HC1 - 7 lux

Sony's giving the HC5/HC7 a lux rating of 2 but that's at 1/30 shutter so at 1/60 I assume it's 4 lux, does that follow?

I'd be surprised if the HC5/HC7 had the same lowlight as the FX7/V1 but unless I have my figures wrong they have the same lux rating ...

Have I got this right?

Richard Iredale February 19th, 2007 10:46 PM

From what I've read and from my own experience with the FX1 and HC3, that looks about right.

Spot might be able to add feedback, since he gets to play with all these neat toys as soon as they are released.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 19th, 2007 10:59 PM

yup, I'd say that's correct, depending on whose lux rating you're using.
The HC5/7 are "mis-rated" due to the DSP and how they work vs how they're measured, but not so much so that I'd argue. DSP doesn't change the measurement, but does change what we actually see.

Boyd Ostroff February 20th, 2007 01:39 PM

This isn't scientific, but my gut reaction is that the black stretch feature definitely helps in low light situations. I don't know how this impacts actual Lux calculations, but if I were shooting in dark places I'd want a Z1 instead of an FX1 or a V1 instead of an FX7.

Marshall Levy February 20th, 2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
Based on the information released so far, am I right in assessing the sony HDV cam lowlight hierarchy (at 1/60 shutter speed and 18db gain) as follows:

FX1/Z1 - 3 lux
FX7/V1 - 4 lux
HC5/HC7 - 4 lux
HC3 - 5 lux
HC1 - 7 lux

Sony's giving the HC5/HC7 a lux rating of 2 but that's at 1/30 shutter so at 1/60 I assume it's 4 lux, does that follow?

I'd be surprised if the HC5/HC7 had the same lowlight as the FX7/V1 but unless I have my figures wrong they have the same lux rating ...

Have I got this right?

Aren't the ratings of 3lux for the Z1U and 4lux for the V1U based on 1/30 as well? I'm almost positive it is...

James Harring February 22nd, 2007 07:17 AM

Getting more "low" out of low light shooting.

A nod to Boyd's observation--With Sony's A1u, I've learned to keep the black stretch on and if the subject is not moving much (I video a choir) I can dial the shutter speed down 30 instead of 60. Gives me a bit more exposure latitude.

Stu Holmes February 23rd, 2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Levy
Aren't the ratings of 3lux for the Z1U and 4lux for the V1U based on 1/30 as well? I'm almost positive it is...

No - the 3lux for the FX1/Z1 is 3lux at 1/60th sec speed (NTSC region cams).