sony hdv lowlight hierarchy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Major Player

sony hdv lowlight hierarchy

Based on the information released so far, am I right in assessing the sony HDV cam lowlight hierarchy (at 1/60 shutter speed and 18db gain) as follows:

FX1/Z1 - 3 lux
FX7/V1 - 4 lux
HC5/HC7 - 4 lux
HC3 - 5 lux
HC1 - 7 lux

Sony's giving the HC5/HC7 a lux rating of 2 but that's at 1/30 shutter so at 1/60 I assume it's 4 lux, does that follow?

I'd be surprised if the HC5/HC7 had the same lowlight as the FX7/V1 but unless I have my figures wrong they have the same lux rating ...

Have I got this right?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

From what I've read and from my own experience with the FX1 and HC3, that looks about right.

Spot might be able to add feedback, since he gets to play with all these neat toys as soon as they are released.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3

yup, I'd say that's correct, depending on whose lux rating you're using.
The HC5/7 are "mis-rated" due to the DSP and how they work vs how they're measured, but not so much so that I'd argue. DSP doesn't change the measurement, but does change what we actually see.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Wrangler

This isn't scientific, but my gut reaction is that the black stretch feature definitely helps in low light situations. I don't know how this impacts actual Lux calculations, but if I were shooting in dark places I'd want a Z1 instead of an FX1 or a V1 instead of an FX7.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
Based on the information released so far, am I right in assessing the sony HDV cam lowlight hierarchy (at 1/60 shutter speed and 18db gain) as follows:

FX1/Z1 - 3 lux
FX7/V1 - 4 lux
HC5/HC7 - 4 lux
HC3 - 5 lux
HC1 - 7 lux

Sony's giving the HC5/HC7 a lux rating of 2 but that's at 1/30 shutter so at 1/60 I assume it's 4 lux, does that follow?

I'd be surprised if the HC5/HC7 had the same lowlight as the FX7/V1 but unless I have my figures wrong they have the same lux rating ...

Have I got this right?

Aren't the ratings of 3lux for the Z1U and 4lux for the V1U based on 1/30 as well? I'm almost positive it is...
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Getting more "low" out of low light shooting.

A nod to Boyd's observation--With Sony's A1u, I've learned to keep the black stretch on and if the subject is not moving much (I video a choir) I can dial the shutter speed down 30 instead of 60. Gives me a bit more exposure latitude.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy
Aren't the ratings of 3lux for the Z1U and 4lux for the V1U based on 1/30 as well? I'm almost positive it is...
No - the 3lux for the FX1/Z1 is 3lux at 1/60th sec speed (NTSC region cams).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series