Writing Speed Of The HC1 to memory stick duo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
New Boot

Writing Speed Of The HC1 to memory stick duo

Hello All,,,,

I am planning on doing time lapse via HC1 photos. Each photo take aprox. 2 sec to write to the Memory stick Duo. I was wondering will the new HIGH SPEED memory stick duo cards speed up this process.

Reg Memory.Stick.Duo = 15mbps
HIGH SPEED M.S.D. = 80mbps

In theory it should........

Any Ideas???

Curtis
Curtis Shillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Curtis -

Keep in mind this is based on experience with Sony still cameras - YES, the high speed media is faster, IF the camera supports it - don't have my HC1's handy but I just tried a regular speed vs. high speed duo in an HC3 - writing appeared to be twice as fast in a side by side comparison - took two "writing" cycles with regular, one with HS.

If I get a chance to check with an HC1, I'll update, but I'm fairly sure it will improve your write speed for stills.

And while I'm typing... I haven't found my "big" Sony remote with a photo button (all the video functions work on the one 814 which just has video functions...), but I think you're about 99% probable that the 841 you were asking about will trigger the same as the 831 that Sony includes with the cam. My experience has been the Sony remotes are more or less "universal" across Sony brand cams... thus be careful where you point them... I run multi-cam shoots, can ya tell?

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the help....I really appreciate it....

I will probably go 2 the sony store tomorrow and do the HS vs Regualer Speed memory stick duo test on my HC1....Hopefully they will let me.....

Also,,,I was confused about what you were saying about the 814 remote....did you say that you are 99% sure that the RMT-814 'Photo' button, will trigger my HC1 to take a photo (which uses the RMT-831 remote).
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Curtis - If not, let me know, I'll repeat the memory test with the HC1, just din't have it handy at the time.

Looked at the "time machine" - cool toy, have no idea what I'd use it for, but I want one <wink>.

On the remote, I tested the "bigger" remote ages ago with the HC1, but I can't for the life of me remember whether I tested the still function... but I suspect it ought to work - I see the Mfr. says to ask about compatibility - they might know? Worst case I see a LANC trigger - would that work in your application?

DB>)
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks again for your help,,,

Went to the sony store this morning and (big surprise) they didn't want to crack open a new HS memory stick Duo. Ah well, I've been looking at the Sandisk Memory Stick Duo Ultra II which writes at 72 mbps (9 MB/sec) (The 4 gb sandisk costs the same as the 2gb HS sony memory stick duo). The High Speed Sony writes at 80 mbps (10 MB/sec). Not a huge difference in speed.....but a huge difference in price.

About "The Time Machine", I am buying it because I am making a movie this summer which will incorporate many panning time lapse shots. I've emailed Mumford about compatibity but they don't really know.

Anyways, Thanks again,

Curtis Shillington
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Curtis -
OK, tried with the HC1.
Sony branded MSP Duo approx three "cycles" as indicated by the red "writing" bars.

Sony (may be a knockoff, off Ebay, but it works!) MSP Duo 2x high speed approx 2 cycles by the same indicator.

Sandisk has worked fine for me, and is typically a bit cheaper - you may want to do some calculations for how much memory you'll need, vs. perhaps taking frame grabs from tape? Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of rapid fire stills, and may eat Mem Stick for lunch. But it's not TOO expensive to get the MSP duo anymore - used to be pretty painful at 2x what any other memory format cost... at least it fits ALL my Sony gear!

Silly idea, if you have an "older" Sony cam handy with still feature, see if the 831 triggers it - should swing both ways!

I've got a "big" sony remote around SOMEWHERE with still shot, IF it turns up, I'll post... wasn't in my equipment closet I just cleaned out, so that leaves the "backup closet" and the workbench... ugh. Wish me luck <wink>!

I'd say worst case go with their LANC hard wire connect - maybe have them send both and return if one doesn't work?

DB>)
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #7
New Boot

I thought about doing frame grabs from a full 60 min tape......but I would be going through to many tapes.....But I am rethinking it now. Because I am doing this project while traveling on my bicycle over about 4 months I wanted 2 avoid using tapes (but i guess I could simply mail them home as I take them). My original plan was to use a 4gb memory card (Which holds about 4000 Fine quality pics, which would give me 2.7 minutes of footage at 24fps, with 1.5 hours of actual real time shooting) I would then proceed to burn a DVD of the pics via the a portable DVD Burner http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10001

but maybe I'm just better off using real Mini-DV tapes....

Check out some of the timelapse I did with my sony dcr-pc350----this cam has a time lapse feature which allows you 2 record at 1fps!!!!! The footage you see is straight time lapse from the Camcorder, they quickly removed the option from Sony camcorder :(......If only I could get my DCR-PC350 to control my HD camcorder to do this....

There is about 8 time lapse recording to check out:::
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kurtiz
ENJOY
Curtis Shillington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series