DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Moisture Condensation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/88013-moisture-condensation.html)

Betsy Moore March 3rd, 2007 02:46 AM

Moisture Condensation

My POS Sony HC1 shows that "Moisture Condensation--Eject Tape" or "Moisture Condensation--turn off for Hour" almost all the time now, even when realistically it's impossible that the camera has run into any moisture whatsoever. I'm way past warantee, is there anything I can do?

PS This my second Sony in a row that's been more fragile than Brian Wilson in boot camp. Has their quality just nose-dived in the last few years? Have Sony camcorders become the equivilant of a 1974 Vega as far as mid-term reliability?

David Delaney March 3rd, 2007 09:22 AM

I found the same thing with my Pana camera one time going from a cold house to a hot day outside - it was the battery connections that we doing it. Not sure if that helps.

John Jay March 3rd, 2007 09:27 AM

Not sure about the FUD but I have some issues with my HC1.

First it doesnt like going to the end of tape (beyond 59 min) - once there it wants to eject the tape after showing a Cxx error in the LCD - dont know why, but it always does this now. In fact the only workaround is to eject the tape and rewind in another camera. Ive tried removing the battery and the reset button but Cxx is still there.

Another is I have aquired a hair line crack in the hinge assembly - again I treat the camera with respect and I am at a loss to explain how that happened.

At the time of purchase the HC1 was phenomenal VFM, but looks like the HV20 is about to steal that crown, although shot transition is a big deal for me as my camera spends a lot of time at the end of a jib - I only wish that Sony would make the shot transition controllable via lanc remote.

Robert M Wright March 3rd, 2007 09:33 AM

One thing that can help reduce condensation, when moving a camera from a cold environment to a warm environment, is to put it in an air tight plastic bag before moving, and keep it in the bag until it has warmed up.

Gerald Lunn March 3rd, 2007 03:33 PM

Dew Sensor Problem

A couple of weeks ago I took a trip to Florida (from Virginia) and when I took out my HC1 to use it the humidity problem reared its ugly head - i.e. when I turned on the camera it showed to "eject cassette and wait 1 hour" message. well I waited and waited. I warmed it up with a gentle breeze from a hairdryer. I waited some more. I tried cleaning the dew sensor with a cottonwool bud. Still no joy. The camera was henceforward useless.

Now I had that day taken it from the air-conditioned hotel to a warm outside environment so I understood the problem at first..... but apparently the problem had become permanent. This was only the third time (as far as I remember) since I bought the camera 2 years ago that the dew sensor had showed a warning.

The camera is now in Texas with the Sony repair shop......$510 + shipping to them (their standard flat charge). Now I wish I had bought an extended warranty!!!!! I have requested that they return any parts that they replace so that I can see what the problem was. I can only assume that the dew sensor went bad.

I am now seriously condsidering buying an HC7 as a "spare" I cannot risk losing any more valuable video on expensive vacations!!

Gerald

Dave Blackhurst March 3rd, 2007 04:09 PM

Anyone try pressing the reset button?? I'll bet it's a software error. Saw it once, and resetting the cam fixed it. Sort of a "blue screen error" type thing. Today's tech is so complex both hardware and software wise, one line of code could cause the problem... and prevent the cam from resetting properly.

A hard reboot resets factory settings, so you'll have to redo any customization, but it's worth a shot, and cheaper that sending it for repair. It's not bad advice for ANY piece of equipment that "freaks out" - disconnect the power, restore factory settings/reset, and see if it works... FWIW, I "fix" things pretty regularly with that simple procedure... as does almost anyone with a computer <wink>!

DB>)

Betsy Moore March 3rd, 2007 04:20 PM

thanks, Dave and everyone--I'll definitely try Dave's suggestion as it does seem stuck in permenant Dew mode. Um... now, where is the reset button?...

Dave Blackhurst March 3rd, 2007 05:35 PM

Reset button is under the flip out LCD, just below the disp button/slide switch. You might want to see if the manual has any special reset procedures, but I think you just have to find a paperclip to press the recessed button, hold it a couple seconds, and restart the cam.

Gerald Lunn March 6th, 2007 03:10 PM

Reset Button?

I should have mentioned in my treatise that one of the things I tried to clear the Dew Sensor warning was to press the reset button! Twice I tried it. No go!!!

Gerald

Gerald Lunn March 7th, 2007 04:44 PM

Dew Sensor Problem - Repair

I received the camera back from Sony in full working order. Apparently they changed the whole tape mechanism - MD(N100) Sub Assy A - as well as the head drum so I am none the wiser as to the actual cause of the humidity warning problem.
It only took them about 3 days once it got there. Obviously that was the simplest solution for them in the circumstances - quicker than doing a full diagnosis I suspect!
I downloaded the service manual for the HC7 from the Sony web site (they don't have the HC1 service manual there) and apparently this mechanism is absolutely identical - same part number for the assembly - so I was able to identify exactly what they did.

Gerald

Sean Hsieh August 5th, 2007 04:49 PM

hey guys, don't know if anyone still has this issue, but it just came up while I was shooting live footage, really bothered me, but good thing we had other cams running. anyhow, I just took out the battery and put it back in, seemed to do the trick!

Damian Clarke July 31st, 2008 03:15 AM

This is probably a little late and maybe someone has mentioned it elsewhere by now but I have been experiencing this moisture condensation error on my HC1 lately. In fact it's almost every other time I start it up. I read on another site:
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=5357&page=4
that some people have had success removing all batteries and then giving the camera a slap on the underside with the palm of your hand, re-attach battery and power up. Completely gone apparently. I've yet to try it myself, but hey anything's worth a shot.

Colin McDonald July 31st, 2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Clarke (Post 914558)
This is probably a little late and maybe someone has mentioned it elsewhere by now but I have been experiencing this moisture condensation error on my HC1 lately. In fact it's almost every other time I start it up. I read on another site:
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=5357&page=4
that some people have had success removing all batteries and then giving the camera a slap on the underside with the palm of your hand, re-attach battery and power up. Completely gone apparently. I've yet to try it myself, but hey anything's worth a shot.

Not ANOTHER "Slap-a-Sony" saga surely?

This used to happen a lot with some consumer cameras and tape path errors.

Betsy Moore July 31st, 2008 10:37 PM

Well, Colin and Damian, as the long lost starter of the thread all I can tell you is for me it was expensive trip to sony's Texas repair lab--they fixed it but for almost the cost of an entry level camera and they only provided me with this "service" for the price they did because I bought the camera within the last 6 months or year. If my Canon HV20 played my Sony tapes I would have just let the thing rust. One thing's for sure though--Sony cameras are temperature/humidity wimps and Sony likes it that way, keeps folks coming back every 2 or 3 years for more punishment.

John Cash August 1st, 2008 07:00 AM

I seem to believe the opposite, I carry my camera(s) both sony in my pack as I trudge up the high peaks of the sierra nevada. They are exposed to snow, wind and extreme cold for days. Except during the middle of the cold days my camera is inside my pack where it heats up like a sauna even on cold days. I take mine out surfing and wakebaording( boat owner) . I am kinda rough on my equipment and havent had any issues with my camreas. V1u. Hc-7, HC-9