Redrock M2 & Sony HC3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Redrock M2 & Sony HC3

Has anyone made this marriage work? If so, I'd love to hear tips.

I'm experimenting with it now. The M2, being geared for prosumer cams, seems a little tall for the tiny HC3.
Attached Thumbnails
Redrock M2 & Sony HC3-m2andhc3-009.jpg  
C.S. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am currently exploring the realms of shallow DOF verses noise with the HVR-A1. I'm most interested to hear or better yet, see the results of this eclectic matrimony which changes the equation quite dramatically. I strive for shallow DOF, but cannot tolerate noise.

Thank you for the useful image btw. I think the rig looks pretty sexy... I love the incongruity actually, of the tiny HC1 and the pro peripherals. Perhaps for the glowing bride or is it the groom... nice pro lens hood?

What lens are you using? Also, is the image upside down?
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The lens is a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 prime. The image is, alas, upside down. If I were feeling even more ambitious, I might attempt to mount the camera upside down--it's just small enough to work. But first things first.

Today I broke out some gaffer tape and went to work. The unlikely pair are now bound together in a more effective, if less elegant, fashion. I shot some footage and will post it here in the unlikely event that (1) my PC ever finishes rendering it; and (2) it looks to be worth posting.

Oddly enough, I've found there are advantages to mounting such a small camera to the M2. It's lightweight, and therefore will mount to a DVRigPro with little trouble. If this works, it will allow handheld M2 shots with greater ease.

The little HC3 experiment is paving the way for a 24p Canon HV20...which should arrive in but a few weeks.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's some test footage. I'm still experimenting with the best export options (using Premiere 1.51).... So far, I haven't been happy with the compression.

http://www.lostspyder.com/RedrockM2andSonyHC3-Test.wmv

But I'm happy to report that the marriage is going well. It turns out that Mrs. Redrock likes short guys!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5
New Boot

any chance of reupping this test footage?
thanks
Voitek Nosovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series