Hc 5/7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Hc 5/7

Is it a simple process to transfer video shot on a HC 5 or 7 into a Macbook Pro core 2 (not a core 2 duo) that is running Final Cut Pro?
Steve Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, it is.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Hardware

Is there any extra hardware that is needed? A friend of mine has a Macbook Pro core 2 duo and I know on the Sony HDD camera's, the video won't download without some special software. I'm just making sure the HC 5 or 7 doesn't. I know it's a mini-dv camera and not a HDD camera but I'm just trying to cover my bases before purchasing one of these camera's.
Steve Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Nope, you won't need any special software or hardware to capture DV or HDV with Final Cut Pro. Just connect the camera to the computer with a firewire cable.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #5
New Boot

HDR-HC5 video out, and digitize in QT Player Pro

I'll tag along on this thread, so as not to start a new one.
I'd like to use the HDR-HC5 as a live camera, without recording.
Are all three outputs: HDMI, component, and firewire, active when doing this?

I want to send the HDMI to a flat-panel HD display, and record the firewire HDV signal to a Mac Mini using QT Player Pro. I read that you can use iMovie and FCP with the HC5, has anyone captured the HDV video direclty with QTPro? I need to be able to view it while it's being digitized.

This is for childrens' use, I'm trying to keep the workflow simple.
If anyone knows, or if anyone has the HC-5, a Mac and QTP and can try it for me, I'd be very grateful to hear the results.

Thanks, Frank Fulchiero
Frank Fulchiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #6
New Boot

Well, I went to BestBuy and had 10 minutes to test an HDR-HC5. Live, it recorded DV 720x480 with QT Player Pro and no tape in the transport. With tape in the transport, even though it was not being recorded, I recorded to both QT Player Pro and iMovie with the Apple Intermediate Codec 1440x1080.

The firewire and HDMI were both active, but not the component.
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #7
New Boot

HDR-HC5 sleep?

I want to use an HDR-HC5 on all the time, and record to a Mac Mini throughout the day.
Does anyone know if it would ever go into sleep mode, either with or without a tape in the transport (not being recorded to)?
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Frank -
You might check out the manual online - IIRC, there's a menu item to shut of the sleep function on one or both of my HC series cameras... an HC1 and an HC3. I'm going to guess it's a ducumented feature, or if you get another crack at hands on, see if it's in one of the menus!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Hi Frank -
You might check out the manual online - IIRC, there's a menu item to shut of the sleep function on one or both of my HC series cameras... an HC1 and an HC3. I'm going to guess it's a ducumented feature, or if you get another crack at hands on, see if it's in one of the menus!
DB>)
Thanks, found the manual on-line, will read it...
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=HDRHC5
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #10

All you need to do is go into the Camera Settings, scroll backwards (as the option is closer that way) and locate the Auto-Off option. Change it from On to Off, and your camcorder will not shut down after 5 mins of inactivity.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #11
New Boot

What Mode when power off/on?

Sorry to be such a nuisance, you guys are too helpful! One more question (hopefully).
Say the camera is powered by the AC adapter, with no battery, and the Power Switch is set to Camera/Tape, that is, ready to record.
We are recording to computer directly.

Now we shut off power to the camera (turn off AC adapter without unplugging), when we restore power to the camera, will it still be on the Camera/Tape setting, and ready to record?

Reason I ask is that it will be hard to physically get to the camera, and we don't want to leave it on all the time.
Thanking anyone with an HDR-HC5 for a short test...
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #12

Yes, it is still physically on, when you apply power, remove it, and reapply power, if it was on Camera/Record mode when you removed power, it will stll be there when you restart. What it won't do is return to Card Mode or Playback mode when you reapply power.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Yes, it is still physically on, when you apply power, remove it, and reapply power, if it was on Camera/Record mode when you removed power, it will stll be there when you restart. What it won't do is return to Card Mode or Playback mode when you reapply power.
Thanks, you guys are great. I think we're getting one tomorrow, and hope to prove to be as helpul to others, as others have been to me...
Frank Fulchiero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series