Review says HC7 low-light worse than HC3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Review says HC7 low-light worse than HC3

A review of the HC7 elsewhere says the low-light capability of the HC7 is worse than that of the HC3.
Any users who have used both camcorders care to comment?
Dan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

At least one person who has the 7 and had the 3 has posted here and on that review that this depends on how the cameras are set, and that the 7 is as good or better than the 3. I'd take that review with a grain of salt or two. I'll post if and when my 7 arrives...

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

weird...I just read a user review that said his HC7 blew away his HC3 in low light...
Art Willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM   #4

I won't go so far as to say it "blows it away" but it is definitely better than the HC3. IMO, it manages low light better than any HDV cam outside of the Z1.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How does the low light performance of the HC7 compare to the FX7/V1U?
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #6

it's a little better; one thing you'll note is that if you have the color depth enabled, the noise shows up differently. It might bother some, and please others.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm sorry, Spot. Which is "a little better?"
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #8

Apologies, the HC7 is a little better than the V1, and I'd assume better than the FX7. I don't have an FX7.
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Douglas,
How about the sharpness/details compared to V1

thanks
ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #10
New Boot

Low light for HC7

I think it was Dan's samples that prompted me to get the HC7. I had the Hc3 and consider the HC7 to be the same if not better in low light compared to the HC3 as long as you have auto slow shutter set to off. When the HC3 has this feature set to on it is defintely less noisier than the HC7 in the same mode, not sure why this is but the difference is way noticiible. The bottom line I wasn't happy with the exposure and color of the HC3 and the HC7 seems to improve wholeheartedly on this issue and the low light is fantastic in my eyes. Without a doubt the best cam I have ever owned out probably 10-15 camocorders in the past 20 years.
Ray Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #11
New Boot

Low light for HC7

I think it was Dan's samples that prompted me to get the HC7. I had the Hc3 and consider the HC7 to be the same if not better in low light compared to the HC3 as long as you have auto slow shutter set to off. When the HC3 has this feature set to on it is defintely less noisier than the HC7 in the same mode, not sure why this is but the difference is way noticiible. The bottom line I wasn't happy with the exposure and color of the HC3 and the HC7 seems to improve wholeheartedly on this issue and the low light is fantastic in my eyes. Without a doubt the best cam I have ever owned out of probably 10-15 camcorders in the past 20 years.
Ray Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Ray,
just wan to hear from you.. there are many discussion and good things said about the HV20 like its better details and so on.. what is the biggest pull factor for you to buy the HC7 and not the Canon HV20?

thanks
ys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Wesley View Post
I think it was Dan's samples that prompted me to get the HC7. I had the Hc3 and consider the HC7 to be the same if not better in low light compared to the HC3 as long as you have auto slow shutter set to off. When the HC3 has this feature set to on it is defintely less noisier than the HC7 in the same mode, not sure why this is but the difference is way noticiible. The bottom line I wasn't happy with the exposure and color of the HC3 and the HC7 seems to improve wholeheartedly on this issue and the low light is fantastic in my eyes. Without a doubt the best cam I have ever owned out of probably 10-15 camcorders in the past 20 years.
Yow Siang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series